Question

Honor Student
Quisantinaldo
Message 1 of 4 (265 Views)

HP photosmart 5510 - MFG mode

Since I first bought this printer, it always starts up with a message saying MFG mode. I've tried to restore factory defaults, but this doesn't change anything. And whenever I switch the printer off, it restarts with an image of a grid with a blue bar across the screen.

Is there a way to fix this?

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 2 of 4 (221 Views)

Re: HP photosmart 5510 - MFG mode

Hi Quisantinaldo,

I will send you a PM (Private Message), but before we begin, please review the HP Privacy Statement .

This Privacy Statement informs you of our privacy practices and of the choices you can make about the way information about you and your online activity is collected and how that information is used. This statement is readily available on our HP.com home page and at the bottom of every HP web page.

There are an increasing number of posts in this forum and elsewhere in the internet with the steps to do a resets on different printers.  The reset itself will sometimes fix problems, so the reset is not the issue. 

Some resets require you to enter button combinations to open special menus on your printer that you were never meant to access.  These special menus are used by the developers and support personnel for debugging issues, but they are not meant for untrained users and can have unintended results.  One wrong button push and you no could no longer have a printer, but instead a pricey paper weight.  To top it off, if you do happen to "brick" the printer this way, it is considered customer induced damage, and voids the warranty automatically. These resets are only meant to be given out and used as a last resort, and under direct instruction of a HP tech support representative. They should not be done lightly!

Printer Resets: What You Should Know

Please return to the forum and let us know if the issue you are experiencing is resolved.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "Thumbs Up", just below, to say thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
Quisantinaldo
Message 3 of 4 (202 Views)

Hi

Thanks for your message.

After Partial Reset, the printer powers off. Shortly afterwards, it turns back on with the grid. When I press the power button, it says Part NVM Reset. Powering it off and on again turns it back to MFG Mode.

Any further suggestions?

Many thanks

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 4 of 4 (168 Views)

Hi Quisantinaldo,

MFG mode is manufacturing mode, I suspect the firmware in the printer is no longer functional.

At this point, I have no further solutions, the reset is the end of the troubleshooting train, we have reached the caboose. I wish I had better news for you. With any luck, my train metaphor at least put a bit of a smile on your face. Just trying to soften the blow.

I do have one last suggestion, if you call HP they may be able to offer you a discount on a newer model. It is worth giving them a call to see what they have to offer. The number to call HP is 1-800-474-6836 for Canada and US or you can Contact HP Worldwide. < Click here and select your location.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "Thumbs Up", just below, to say thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation