Question
HP says I can't use refilled ink
Replies (68)

Honor Student
raitisb
Message 11 of 69 (31,119 Views)

Re: HP says I can't use refilled ink

Probably this cartridge have a chip, that counts numbers of pages you have printed. When this number over run limit, printer will report that cartridge is empty. Its no mater are there ink or not.

Now there is 2 ways to solve problem-

1) Expensive one- bu new cartridge

2) Cheap one- Drop cartridge chip to zero and refill cartridge. But her can be some problems- quality isn't so good and usually  can be refiled only 2-3 times. Also in some worst cases ink can flow.

If You are printing photo I will recommend not uses refiled cartridges. Refiled cartridge is good for text and draft

But also we need to remember that printer  manufacters like HP, Canon, Sharp and other- her income and profit are getting with consumables like ink, cartridges, toners....

Printers are sold with minimal profit.

Student
lindasaintamant
Message 12 of 69 (30,639 Views)

HP Refilled Ink Cartridges - Yes, you can use them!! Here's how!

I have been using refilled ink cartridges from Whole Foods Market kiosk and now Costco for the past 2 years on my  HP Photosmart C6300 printer.  Today I couldn't print my tax returns after installing the just refilled XL Black cartridge from Costco.  Perplexed, I have spent an hour with a tech at HP trying to figure out why and reset my laptop to allow the pages to print (the printer will copy just fine on it's own). 

The answer is that I let this cartridge get to EMPTY status.  This trigered the sensory dot (copper thingy on cartridge) to relay the message to my laptop and prevent further printing, period.  This CANNOT BE RESET.  I suppose that I usually refill them just before they are entirely drained of ink.  So, I will recycle this cartridge, buy a new one and NEVER AGIAN LET MY CARTRIDGE GO EMPTY!  This is most likely the problem that most of you have had on this blog....

Let's carry on outsmarting HP and going green.  :smileyhappy:

Student
hovsepoghlian
Message 13 of 69 (29,302 Views)

I'm in the same position. that's absolutely rediculous. I purchase 3 hp printers in the past but they all ended up in my recycle bin but at least they let me refill the cartridges. The current hp printer I have (which I received for free with my macbook) isn't allowing me to refill my cartridges. hp printers and the company is absolutely horrible.

Honor Student
mtiddens
Message 14 of 69 (28,945 Views)

Just happened to us this week!  After all the years of having HP printers and using mostly HP cartridges, our HP won't print because it has a re-filled cartridge!  Please advise a customer-friendly company that sells printers without this provision.  Customers will dump HP fast!

Student
MB50
Message 15 of 69 (28,879 Views)

[ Edited ]

I just had this problem solved with help at the Office max  tech support  where I bought my new HP printer. You have to get to the "preferences" screen on the touch pad, takes some time to find it. Started with the ? (help) until I got to "settings" and Preferences.

scroll down to Microchip on (preset) or Microchip OFF. This is the setting that allowed me to use the office max refilled cartridge. They should not preset their printers to only use HP ink. I don't want to return it, but I may think about another printer next time, if it's this much work to fix it.

Student
tonyd165
Message 16 of 69 (28,769 Views)

whic printer do you have?

Student
jamnoo
Message 17 of 69 (28,555 Views)

Re: HP says I can't use refilled ink cartriges

I presently have a C5580 All-in-one.  I have been using HP printers exclusively for more than 15 years. 
I recently became discouraged with HP for discontinuing the CD-DVD printing mechanism on any of their printers without any warning or explanation whatsoever!  I have loved the ability to print directly on printable discs and this printer has been functioning perfectly with original as well as re-manufactured cartridges.  Suddenly, in the middle of a very important printing project, my 5580 became disabled witih a message that the cartridge is not compatible.  How dare HP contruct a product that becomes disabled from printing if their own costly brand cartridge is not installed?!!!  That printer belongs to me!  HP's  commercials can spiel all they want about their "superior" ink, etc. and they might even be correct.  But that does not, in my opinion, give the company the right to dictate to me what ink I must use and even build in a disabling feature on the printer I have purchased!  (The Ford motor company cannot require you to buy ONLY a Ford-brand carburator or else the car will not start!)  Has anyone else experienced this or a similar insult to my intelligence?  Is this even a legally permitted business practice?  They're shooting themselves in the foot.  I will never buy another product that has the HP name attached.

Honor Student
costcoinkrefill
Message 18 of 69 (28,483 Views)

Re: HP says I can't use refilled ink cartriges

Hi,

i used our local costco ink refill center to refill my HP cartridges and it worked...

The quality was ok. Not as good with original new catridges.

Honor Student
TXCARL
Message 19 of 69 (28,443 Views)

Yes, there is one way around this, buy an Epson Workforce 845.   Same functionality but you can buy cheaply refilled cartridges on Ebay.

Honor Student
greencarrigdge
Message 20 of 69 (28,434 Views)

i have been using it for a while now without any problem but lately i refilled this cartridge HP 49 A and replaced the chip.when i inserted the cartridge into the macine it did'nt work and the printer blinks only, so wish to know or how to proceed to resolving this problem

thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation