HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
01-23-2012 03:17 PM
Tried resetting printer. Didn't work. Any other suggestions.
See the post here.
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer, HP Expert
I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.
<---- If my answer was helpful please click the "Kudos" star to say "Thank You".
If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->
01-24-2012 01:27 PM
I don't understand "pressing and holding the # and 3 buttons." Are they not the same button (the # just the 3 with caps)?
You didn';t say what instructions you were trying to follow, but presumably they were for resetting your printer. In that case, the # and 3 keys mentioned would be found on the front panel of your printer (and not on your computer keyboard).
If the instructions still don't make sense, make sure they instructions you are using apply to your exact printer model.
02-07-2012 03:23 PM
I'm so happy people feel the same way that I do about this printer. I purchased an HP TouchSmart IQ500 and the Officejet 6500 at the same time. I have never been more anxious to replace them. I will never purchase another HP product. I just may move over to Apple. I've had Gateway's and Dells and always been happy. Should never have gotten an HP The printer is the worst!!
02-10-2012 03:30 PM
Many thanks, especially to Indigo and Seadance. It woiked! Saved my bacon. In the jargon of the day, "You're Awesome!" Back in the day, "You're Hip!" Thanks!
02-14-2012 12:46 AM
Just wanted to let all the readers here know that cleaning the printhead as suggested about 5 posts above this (via link) was super easy.
At first, you come here looking for the quick fix, obviously. Then you read "remove printhead" and that sounds like you need an engineering degree to accomplish.
But these modern HP printers are built really nicely with easy-to-remove plastic parts that are somewhat intuitive.
So just go in there, follow the instructions, take out the printhead (real easy) and get the yucky gobs of ink cleaned using a moistened Q-tip and you're done.
Again, super easy.
03-09-2012 01:27 PM
I know this thread is old... But I'm really about to give up, and I could use your help.
I tried everything you posted here, to the letter..... It still will not print black ink.
1. I'm SURE MY XL 920 BLACK cart. is full.
2. This all started(IIRC) when I accidentally lifted the gray retaining bar(yes, the one that's not supposed to be opened)
3. I have tried alignment/set up, etc., and nothing is working.
4. When I DO try to print in black... On occasion, I can see smudges of letters and lines here and there... VERY light, indecipherable.
5. After doing the "Unplug while ON, wait 20 seconds(30? can't remember right now)/ Plug back in while holding the # and 3 down".... it's giving me an error message of "Can't align Cart.'s, press OK to cancel and continue".....
6. It will NOT COPY, either, so I'm guessing it's not a driver issue, but rather, it's some mechanical/alignment failure due to my opening that gray/pivoting support/alignment bar.
Do I need to have it serviced to fix something, IF, INDEED, the 'opening of the gray cart. retaining bar' incident is the likely suspect?