Question
Help-HP Officejet 6500-Won't print Black text
Replies (144)

Top Student
tallguy1963
Message 21 of 145 (10,563 Views)

Re: Help-HP Officejet 6500-Won't print Black text

This didn't work for me - went through the entire process and then the "allighnment" failed.  Still not printing in black - no words.  PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Top Student
tallguy1963
Message 22 of 145 (10,560 Views)

My last resort is to clean as you said.  How exactly did you clean it - when you say soaked it, etc???  Thanks!

Tutor
swbca
Message 23 of 145 (10,542 Views)

The other links for Resetting a OfficeJet 6500 on this page do not work for a Officejet 6500A Plus.  So this is the solution for a 6500A Plus.

I paid $20 to HP for this information. They said the secret to getting to the Support Menu is not on the web for the 6500A Plus printer.

My printer stopped printing black, even with a new black cartridge. I had the printer for 4 days past warranty when this happened. Was on my second or 3rd Xlarge black cartridge.

Steps to fix it.

1. Remove the cartridges

2. Remove the Cartridge Holder / Carrier, lift the big lever to release it.

3. Clean the contacts on the cartridges with water and cloth.

4. Clean contacts and all other surfaces on the Cartrdge Holder with water. mine was all caked up with ink - it filled the sink with black water.

5. Clean the contacts on the printer that interface to the Cartridge Holder . . these were covered with ink too.

We then performed Cartridge alignement and it "Failed" printer still did not work.

This is the critical step: Perform a partial reset

1. Find the Curved Back Arrow by pressing the little forward arrow ( the Curved Back Arrow is not visilble from home screen)

2. Go back to home screen

3. tap the location where the Curved Back Arrow (not illuminated now) 4 times.

4. You are now in the Support Menu. Go forward to Resets Menu. Find and perform a Partial Reset.

5. If the printer does not restart in 30 seconds hit the Power Button.

6. After going through the setup procedures , Language etc. The printer should now work. This step fixed mine so it would print black again.

Tutor
swbca
Message 24 of 145 (10,542 Views)

[ Edited ]

Editing to remove accidental double-post - cant delete the double on this forum

Honor Student
Idaho_Gardener
Message 25 of 145 (10,531 Views)

First, I made sure I had lots of clean, hot water in a container large enough to place the print head it with the water. I removed the printer head from the machine and partially submerged it in the water. Timed it for at least 6 minutes without touching. I then swirled it around a little in the water before removing to rinse out any dissolved ink while the water was still hot/warm. Removed from water and cleaned everything with a soft, lint-free cloth.

I suspect it is a combination of heat (not too hot) and time.

If necessary, set a timer so you don't remove the print head too soon. If you have had troubles before, it might be helpful to complete the cleaning cycle two or three times without retrying in the printer where you might be adding more ink which would then need to be dissolved with the hot water.

Top Student
tallguy1963
Message 26 of 145 (10,530 Views)

Thanks for the quick reply, but still no good.  Cleaned everything - water was BLACK!  Did a partial reset a few times and the clean head function.  The alighnment fails everytime and it just wont print in black.  I dont want to buy a new black cartridge in case it doesn't work - more $$$ out the window.  Not happy with HP right now.

Honor Student
Idaho_Gardener
Message 27 of 145 (10,525 Views)

You will need to keep doing the hot water baths until the water is clear. The black is dried ink that is being dissolved. You might try it a couple of more times.

Good luck.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 28 of 145 (10,521 Views)

tallguy1963 wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply, but still no good.  Cleaned everything - water was BLACK!  Did a partial reset a few times and the clean head function.  The alighnment fails everytime and it just wont print in black.  I dont want to buy a new black cartridge in case it doesn't work - more $$$ out the window.  Not happy with HP right now.

Check the vents on the black cartridge and follow the procedure here.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Tutor
swbca
Message 29 of 145 (10,518 Views)

Solution if you have an OfficeJet 6500A Plus

The solution on this thread do not work with an OfficeJet 6500A Plus.

See this link for the new printer.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Printing-Questions/HOW-TO-Reset-OfficeJet-6500A-Plus-It-wont-prin...

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 30 of 145 (10,510 Views)

tallguy1963 wrote:

My last resort is to clean as you said.  How exactly did you clean it - when you say soaked it, etc???  Thanks!

See the post here.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation