Question

Top Student
rachujain
Message 1 of 29 (12,321 Views)
Accepted Solution

Help! My printer won’t accept new cartridge

[ Edited ]

I bought a Photosmart C6283 All-in-one when I lived in the Middle East about 2 years back.  I've now moved to UK and need to get new ink cartridges for it.  On the HP UK site I got the HP 363 cartridge as recommended for my printer. But on loading it the printer says my printer is configured for HP cartridge 177 only.  That was the old cartridge that i used before but I can't get HP177 in the UK.  Plus I bought two HP363 cartridges which seem a waste now. Is there some way I can use both HP177 cartridges which I already have and new HP363 cartridges for the one's that are empty.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 29 (12,304 Views)

Re: HELP ! My Photosmart C6283 won't accept new cartridge

You will need to Contact HP to request a "Regionalization Reset". There should not be any charge for this, it is covered as part of the cartridge warranty. You will need to have access to your computer and printer while on the line with HP. You will also need to have a set of cartridges for the new region, once the reset is complete cartridges from the original region will no longer work.  It is not possible to mix cartridges from different regions.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
rachujain
Message 3 of 29 (12,285 Views)

Thanks Bob, I think I'm going to wait till a couple more of my old ink cartridges are empty before getting the reset. Otherwise, they will be wasted.

Honor Student
ChrisDonat
Message 4 of 29 (11,935 Views)

Can't install new black cartridge in HP Deskjet 5650 printer

Student
bvbear
Message 5 of 29 (10,911 Views)

I own - at present - three HP Printers: 1 x 2300 series (bought in UK),  1  x PSC 1610 All-in-One (bought in Spain), and 1 x Photosmart C4680 PSC (bought in Manchester, UK, in August 2010.  The first two have had to be left in Spain, so I was obliged to buy the Photosmart.  ALL three of these machines work wonderfully well on cartridges marked as Products of Ireland, and, so far, with those marked as Products of Singapore.  However, all three have jibbed at cartridges marked as Products of Malaysia, which are either not recognised as genuine at all, or which stop being recognised within a very short period.  I contacted HP Support about the latest Malaysia HP300 Tricolour cartridge, bought through Amazon UK, in October 2010, which was simply not recognised.  HP France sent me a replacement HP300 Tricolour (also - unfortunately identified as a Product of Malaysia), received on 10-25-2010.  Though recognised at the time of installation on that day, this cartridge stopped being recognised as genuine, when just under 3/4 full - on 11-6-2010.

This lack of recognition of Malaysia cartridges has also affected my Spanish-based printers in the past, and a Spanish friend who runs a ink cartridge recycling company tells me that this phenomenon also affects recycled HP Malaysian cartridges.

I have been obliged to buy another HP300 Tricolour Cartridge, fortunately, a product of Singapore which is working at the moment!  Does HP have any short-term answer, or long-term solution, to this problem?

Honor Student
lesleyandgraham
Message 6 of 29 (9,674 Views)

I have a similar situation to the problem rperted by Rahujain.  I bought an HP Photosmart C6383 in Bahraiin and I have now moved to France.  I tried to buy new cartridges on-line but was blocked.  I went to a store in France - they did not stock the same model numbers (e.g. black 178 - 2010/10) so I blought the local equivalent (364 - 2012/01)  I bought a full set of cartridges as a total cost of over EUR 70.  When U loaded this inot the printer I got an error mesage to say that the cartridgrs are incompatible.

I have tracked the exchange with Rahujain and followed the link to "Contact HP" but when I load the serial number of my printer it replies with a message to say that the system is out of warranty.  I do not consider that this is a warranty issue, I simply want to be able to buy genuine HP cartridges and continue using the printer.  Can you please help me in acquiring a "Regional Reset".  Thanks.

Honor Student
LDurham
Message 7 of 29 (9,581 Views)

Help.|I too am having problems with a printer C4380 i purchased in Australia. I have brought the correct cartridges here, stating on the side of the box my printer model. But it does not work. I understand the issue, but cannot seem to resolve it  or contact  HP as its not in warranty. How do you get hold of someone, phone or e-mail with out paying £15 just to speak to some one. HP are really driving me mad. Just purchased a dell laptop after my HP died after 18 months and their customer service is so much easier. Please can some one help with the regional reset issue.

Thanks

Student
CaptainT
Message 8 of 29 (9,496 Views)

Re: HELP ! My Photosmart C6283 won't accept new cartridge - nor my Deskjet 5940

Same here. Deskjet 9540 which came free with a MacBook Pro in the US. Now in the UK, the print cartridges do not work. I bought a tri-colour and a black. Fitted the colour, which failed, so I took it back to the shop and got it exchanged. New one had same problem and then I found this thread. The colour ones are US #95 and UK #343. Black US #94 and UK #339.

Apparently, a "Regionalization Reset" is required. This does seem a strange set-up that is causing a lot of frustration. How this can be done over the telephone (at 5p. a minute and hopefully not the £15 LDurham quoted), but not available as a download or even a simple instruction I am not sure, but will no doubt find out when HP goes back to work in the morning.

The # to call in the UK for a Deskjet is 0844 369 0369. Others can be found here : http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html

A search of the HP site does not bring a result for "Regionalization Reset" which only seems to be mentioned in the forums.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 9 of 29 (9,485 Views)

HP's web page on the subject is here.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
lesleyandgraham
Message 10 of 29 (9,352 Views)

Thank you Bob for this brief but, in my opinion, unsatisfactory response.  You simply refer us to a website with the same link as in the original mail to Rachujain.  It clearly states on this page that the product must be covered under warranty before on-line or e-mail support is provided and telephone support will be charged - in addition to the call charge itself.  I cannot understand this cop-out.  All that I and the other correspondents on this subject require is for HP to enable us to purchase genuine HP ink cartridges and I really do not see why we should pay for this privilege!  You are simply driving us to go to alternative sources to have the old cartridges refilled.  I think there is a flaw in the policy here.  Can you please come back with a solution that is more customer-friendly and more in line with what we would expect from a market leader like HP.  Graham

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation