How To Delete A Job That Just Won't Delete? (13593 Views)
Top Student
SusanASarandon
Message 1 of 3 (13,593 Views)

How To Delete A Job That Just Won't Delete?

Sometimes when I go to print something it seems to "get stuck" and it says "pending" 2/1 and I can't cancel or delete it and until I can, I can't do anything else.  I've had this issue with HPs in the past.  How do I fix it and prevent it from happening again?

Dell Dimension 8400

Windows XP

HP PSC 1315

PhD Student
CaptainTJ
Message 2 of 3 (13,575 Views)

Re: How To Delete A Job That Just Won't Delete?

Hi,

There are a few methods that I've tried in the past.  You might look in this document that I found on the Product Support page.  It covers "Can't Print - Print jobs are stuck in the print queue".  You'll have to expand the document by clicking on the + sign for Windows XP.  The print diagnostic tool listed in the first solution might resolve your issue.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02205477&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=374568#N109...

Other methods that I've done when I click on the printer icon down on the task bar, is to choose pause, then cancel the print job. 

If that doesn't work, then I've sometimes disconnected the printer from the computer.  This sometimes allows the print job to go through the motions in Windows thinking that it is printing to the printer.

When all else fails, I restart my PC.  Sometimes I've received a message about a print job pending and do I want to print before restarting, choose No.  Othertimes after restarting and my PC comes back up, there may be a message about printing the pending print job, choose No. 

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you. Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution.

I am employed by HP
Student
richardzembron
Message 3 of 3 (2,523 Views)

Re: How To Delete A Job That Just Won't Delete?

RIDICULOUS. This problem has been around since the 80:s. Print jobs have been virtually IMPOSSIBLE to cancel/delete in ALL HP printers I have been using over the 25 past years, and we are talking somewhere beteween 100-200 different HP printer models.

It is a print queue. Its not like your trying to control a ballistic rocket in suborbital space.

So fix it.

Cancel = stop with what your doing immediately. Clear out the queue immediately. Immediately means now, not in a few minutes, days or months.

Richard

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation