Question

Top Student
DanMarshall
Message 1 of 10 (3,597 Views)
Accepted Solution

How can I control automatic print head cleaning every time my Officejet Pro 8500A Premium starts up?

In general we really like our new Officejet, but we're very frustrated by the automated start up procedure.  Every time we turn it on it does a self check and then cleans the print heads.  It's bothersome for two reasons: 1) We want to print quickly, not wait for 5 minutes.  2) We're worried that all this cleaning is using up our valuable ink.

We recently had to replace all the color print cartridges, and I think one cause for the other's depletion was all this cleaning.

We're using HP cartridges.

It's possible that this printer is intended for an office environment where it just stays on 24x7.   For our occasional use, we normally turn it on when we need it and turn it off when we're done. If the power consumption is low enough (less than 5 watts) I'd consider leaving it on as a possible work-around.

I did my best to search FAQ and postings to see whether there was already an answer to this issue - but couldn't find one.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 10 (3,582 Views)

Re: How can I control automatic print head cleaning every time my Officejet Pro 8500A Premium starts

The Officejet Pro 8500A Premium is Energy Star rated according to the manual here.  The printer uses about 30 Watts while printing and automatically goes into a power saving mode when idle.

I would suggest leaving the printer on and letting it automatically manage its power.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
DanMarshall
Message 3 of 10 (3,574 Views)

Re: How can I control automatic print head cleaning every time my Officejet Pro 8500A Premium starts

Thanks Bob,  Are you saying that because it's Energy Star certified I should take it on trust that I can leave it on 24x7? I'd like to understand how many watts it uses in sleep mode.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 10 (3,569 Views)

DanMarshall wrote:

Thanks Bob,  Are you saying that because it's Energy Star certified I should take it on trust that I can leave it on 24x7? I'd like to understand how many watts it uses in sleep mode.

Yes, the Energy Star certification has requirements for standby energy usage.  I do not have an Officejet 8500 to test, but I have a Photosmart c309a which is similar.  Turned on but not printing it is 7W and when in sleep mode it is 6W.  (Measurements made with a "Kill-a-Watt" meter.)

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

Top Student
DanMarshall
Message 5 of 10 (3,566 Views)

Thanks Bob, at 6 watts, that's 52 kilowatts per year, which is about $7 per year.  It's not that much, but there's the environmental impact too.  I'm thinking that we can ignore the watts used while printing and copying, because they are the same whether we leave the machine on between uses or not.  (Note that I can buy 150 pounds of concrete for $7) 

My old printer started right up.  As I recall it was a 2680. I don't understand why this one has to clean its print heads every time I turn it on.  Does it consume ink when it cleans its-self?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 6 of 10 (3,565 Views)

Yes, ink is used in the cleaning cycles.  If you are turning the printer on and off several times a day you are going to use much more than $7 worth of ink in a year due to additional servicing.  You may also shorten the life of the printer, or at least put much more then $7 of wear and tear on it.

A 2680 would likely have been the Deskjet D2680 which used integrated printheads and dye based ink for the color.  Your Officejet 8500 is has two features that require it to do more servicing:  

1. The printheads are separate from the ink supplies.  Models that have integrated ink supplies and printheads get a new printhead at each ink change.  These models generally do not require as much servicing.
  2. The Officejet 8500 uses pigmented ink. While pigmented inks generally provide better lightfastness they also tend to require more servicing.

Top Student
DanMarshall
Message 7 of 10 (3,560 Views)

How can I control automatic print head cleaning every time my Officejet Pro 8500A Premium starts

OK Bob, it sounds like this printer is really designed to run 24x7, so I guess that's what I should do.  Had I known when I purchased it, it's likely that I would have gone for another printer.

Student
cattyprinter
Message 8 of 10 (3,145 Views)

1st installation failed --waited 3 weeks to have another go --installed on line all working --So Notation said

scans ok  fax set up ok .On start up IT goes thru ALIGNING PRINTHEAD  --not one print done and 3 1/2 cartridges GONE .Tooooo BEEEEE expensive to use   Where is the users manual --?None only double side page of wire connections  --a book of one page english and balance in goobly **bleep** .Never again will I spend my measely pension on a HP printer  Who is going to replace my cartridges ? Try and have a telephone query  OH NO no speak only info email that says this is generated email with no info! Talk about easy money for rubbish --tell your mates HP is a NO GOER        -:manmad:

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 9 of 10 (3,131 Views)

cattyprinter wrote:

1st installation failed --waited 3 weeks to have another go --installed on line all working --So Notation said

scans ok  fax set up ok .On start up IT goes thru ALIGNING PRINTHEAD  --not one here print done and 3 1/2 cartridges GONE .Tooooo BEEEEE expensive to use   Where is the users manual --?None only double side page of wire connections  --a book of one page english and balance in goobly **bleep** .Never again will I spend my measely pension on a HP printer  Who is going to replace my cartridges ? Try and have a telephone query  OH NO no speak only info email that says this is generated email with no info! Talk about easy money for rubbish --tell your mates HP is a NO GOER        -:manmad:

There should have been a manual on the included CD.  You can also download a manual from HP here

If you need to Contact HP you can find phone numbers here.

Student
lccg801222
Message 10 of 10 (2,219 Views)

THIS POST DOESN'T GIVE A REAL SOLUTION. It seems like I have made a bad purchase.

I cannot mantain my printer on, I don't care if it spends very few money on energy. I simply cannot mantained my printer on (reasons about place where I use this printer), and every time I start my printer IT WASTES A LOT OF INK, I have had to change my cartridges more than ever, and I am really annoyed by this situation.

Please help me to solve my problem. I trusted in HP, but after this I doubt about buying again this brand.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation