How can I use my color cartridge when my black cartridge is out of ink? (25841 Views)
Honor Student
oneproudmom
Message 1 of 7 (25,841 Views)

How can I use my color cartridge when my black cartridge is out of ink?

How can I use my color cartridge when my black cartridge is out of ink on my Officejet J5750 All-in-One?  I am always running out of black first and there is that occasion, like now, when I just need to print something NOW and I just want to use the color cartridge until I can get to the store to get a black one.  Is there something I can change?  I am printing an Adobe Reader document.  Thanks!!
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 2 of 7 (25,793 Views)

Re: How can I use my color cartridge when my black cartridge is out of ink?

if the black cartridge is low on ink, then the printer should automatically switch to an 'Ink Backup Mode' or 'Reserve Mode Printing', where it mixes the colors to produce black ink. but im not sure if that's a feature available on this printer.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 3 of 7 (25,769 Views)

There are a few things you could try.  First try removing the black cartridge and print with just the color cartridge installed.  For some models this will automatically change to "reserve mode" where the color cartridge is used for printing black.  The all-in-one printers may not support this and the printer may refuse to print without a black cartridge.  (I do not have a j5750 to check and the manual does not mention this one way or another).

If the printer will not print without the black cartridge installed then reinstall it and try setting the paper type to "photo" in the driver.  You will also probably need to set the ink volume toward the light side as printing in photo mode on plain paper can result in too much ink.  Selecting fast draft or draft may also help.

Regards,

Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Honor Student
oneproudmom
Message 4 of 7 (25,767 Views)

Thanks so much for the feedback!  Removing the black cartridge doesn't work as the printer won't operate without both cartridges installed.  I will try the other ideas, though.
Intern
BamaBubblehead
Message 5 of 7 (25,735 Views)

Under similar circumstances, Black cartridge out of ink on a color printer and needing to print something at the time, I have selected a specific color -green, blue, red etc.- for "font" on various brands of printers and gotten what I needed printed.

Hope it proves beneficial.

Respectfully,

BamaBubblehead.

"Submariners do it Deeper."

Top Student
Diane
Message 6 of 7 (25,702 Views)

I have also selected a different colour font for printing text documents when the black ink is running low, I usually select Teal, which is easy on the eye, it has always worked with a Lexmark printer and I have tried it once on the HP and it was successful, Hope it works for you! 

Diane

Student
itsmevct
Message 7 of 7 (2,851 Views)

I want to thank you for that post - the changing to printing on photo mode worked!  it was super frustrating - so thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation