Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi Folks,

Are you also using the HP Officejet 8620 or are you printing from a mobile device?

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
I'm using the hp 8620 and most of the time there is no red cancel button. It's really a pain when a I've clicked on the print button in error and then I can't cancel the print. Big waste of ink and paper. So far nobody has been able to answer the question of how to cancel a print job on the HP 8620 except to say "use the red x" when there is no red x as many others have stated. Since this printer was received as a gift, I can't return it but I would certainly rethink the purchase if it had not been a gift. This is a major flaw in the HP 8620 and one that should be easily answered by anyone speaking for HP. To go into settings in the control panel takes more time that the print and so does turning off the printer. Bad design.
HP Recommended

When you are looking on the screen you will see the Date/Time line. When actively printing, it changes to say " X Printing" with a rotating arrow around the X. If you tap the X, a Red X appears on the bottom left of the screen. When you tap the Red X, it will cancel the print job.

HP Recommended

I was having this problem with no red X when trying to cancel an active print job.  So, I pulled out the paper tray.  When the Out Of Paper message came up, I got a X to cancel the print.  Then, the cancel function worked (for me).  It is worth a try!

HP Recommended

Thank you, greengirlsmom, I never thought of that but it makes perfect sense and I'll try it next time.

HP Recommended

Hi Bloha

I found the red X (bottom left corner) on my machine by first pressing the white X  circling above the "copy, fax, scan,apps" buttons - do you get this white button showing? And frankly although I like my machine too there definately is an issue with canceling - the touch screen doesn't work half the time or fast enough to cancel before the printing starts. SuzyQ42

HP Recommended

Yes, I do get the swirling thing, and I will try tapping it when I want to cancel and see what happens.  Almost everything happens too slow to actually cancel a print job, however.  Guess we just have to live with it!

HP Recommended

The accepted solution does not give all the details for finding the cancel button.  You first must press or swipe down the little white "X printing" status area at the top of the front control panel.  The this white "X" has a circle around it.  Doing that will expose the red "X" button to cancel a print job.  

HP Recommended

There is no "red X" in the project window in my new HP Officejet Pro 8620.  I, too, had turn off the machine to get it to stop printing.  Anyone else have some suggestions?

HP Recommended

I just sent a reply to the one who suggested touching the "red X" on the front panel, stating that there is NO red X on the front panel of my new HP8620.  Before I could turn the machine off, it had printed out 14 pages of an unwanted document!  Did you ever get a good answer to your problem?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.