Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have refilled my 940 ink cartridge and now I can't get my printer to print. I get the error message that I do not have enough ink to ensure printer health. My ink is full. 

33 REPLIES 33
HP Recommended

HP does not recommend refilling the ink cartridges it may cause damage to our printer. It does sound like the chip on the ink cartridges is not seeing that the ink is full, try replacing the cartridge with a genuine HP Ink Cartridge and see if the issue is resolved.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

I know that replacing with a new cartridge will make the printer work. My question is how to get the chip reset so that I can refill my ink cartridges myself. I am willing to take the chance. I will replace my printer before I buy overpriced ink cartridges.

HP Recommended

There is now way that I am aware of to reset the chip.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

Hi sparkplug

You could maybe try resetting the printer...

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02005923

Note though, as BikerMike has already pointed out,  refills tend to not to have the same reliability as originals...

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00853819...

Kind Regards, Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

I have had printers in the past and refilled the ink myself. This HP printer has everything I want in a printer and I have had no problems with it other then not letting me refill my own ink. I know that the profit in producing printers come from selling the ink cartridges, not from the sell of the printer itself. I see now that HP has figured out a way to force people into buying their refills. I will send this printer to the garbage and never buy another HP product again. Thanks for your responses anyway. I just hope to find another brand that hasn't followed HP.

HP Recommended

I totally agree with sparkplug.  My printer is also going into the garbage.  I have the same problem, plus I get a carriage jam.  Tech support does not help.  Printer is just out of warranty, so will have to pay for support.  I will also not buy another hp product!!!

HP Recommended

Have you found a different brand that you like?

HP Recommended

Amen!

HP Recommended

The problem is not the chip.  I am running a CISS (continuous inking system) with the chips from the original cartridges on my new ones from the CISS (on an 8500).  Actually, when you hit the page count for the chip, all you have to do is keep working the OK button to ignore the messages and you should see question marks eventually (there will be two messages--one for low and one for out).  What it sounds like for your problem is that there is a lens on the bottom of the cartridge where there is a hardware detect of the ink level.  It sounds like you may have a bubble trapped there.  You may have gotten some air in it when refilling.  Use a very fine needle on a syringe (did you use one to fill it) and tap the cartridge to try to move it and then eliminate it.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.