Question

Student
laserman2005
Message 1 of 9 (11,795 Views)
Accepted Solution

How do you print on 5.5 X 8.5 Paper? I have a Photosmart Plus B210e.

How do you print on 5.5 X 8.5 Paper? I have a Photosmart Plus B210e.

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 2 of 9 (11,785 Views)

Re: How do you print on 5.5 X 8.5 Paper? I have a Photosmart Plus B210e.

Hello laserman2005

You can follows these steps to set custom paper sizes.

* Open the Print dialog box.
    * Make sure that your product is in the Name drop-down list box, and then click Properties .
    * Click the Features or the Paper/Quality tab. 
    * Select the paper size from the Size drop-down list.
If the required paper size is not in the drop-down list, follow these steps to create a custom paper size.
    * Select Custom from the Size drop-down list, or the Custom tab.
    * In the Custom Paper Size dialog box, type a name for the new custom size.
    * In the Width and Height boxes, or the Width and Length boxes, type the dimensions.
    * Select the unit of measurement, and then click Save .
    * Click OK to close the Custom Paper Size dialog box, and then click OK again to close the Properties dialog box.
NOTE:You must exit the Properties dialog box to apply your changes.
    * Open the Properties dialog box again, and then select the new custom size from the Size drop-down list.
    * From the Properties dialog box, select the paper type.
    * In the Paper Type drop down list, click More .
    * Click the desired paper type, and then click OK .
    * Select the paper source from the Paper Source drop-down list.
    * Change any other settings, and then click OK to close the Properties dialog box.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
Tutor
dazy
Message 3 of 9 (11,619 Views)

I have the same problem & have seen this response on several trouble shooting sites as the solution, however, "custom" does not show up as an option in the paper size list.  How do you get to this option, what a frustarting problem!  Still wish I had my old printer now- had no problem doing this a few years ago!!!  I have the same printer referenced in this QA, am running windows 7 64bit (hear it may be an issue with the operating system?).  Any help would be greatly appreciated; I really need to get these done quickly!!

Thanks!!!

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 4 of 9 (11,613 Views)

Hello dazy

I was not aware of this some months back, however, some printers don't have the custom print size option. There is a workaround and it should not interfere with your currently working drivers. The following instructions will help you install a second instance of your printer using a different driver that you can obtain from within Windows Updates. By creating this second printer you can access the custom print size feature of this older driver.

1. Open devices and printer
2. Click Add a printer
3. Click Add a local printer
4. From the Use existing port select the USB option (or switch from USB001 to IP Address and then enter the IP address), and then click next
5. Click on the Windows Update button to get all support window 7 drivers updated
6. Once update is finished. Click on HP from left menu, and then select the Deskjet 9800 from the right menu, and then click next.  
7. Follow the remaining instructions to complete the installation.  

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

Tutor
dazy
Message 5 of 9 (11,606 Views)

HI Travis,

Thank You so much for your response.  I did try something like this- attempting to load the driver for the printer that you specified, but by a slightly different route.  My printer is not plugged in with a USB line & the instrucions that I saw elsewhere stated to use the "betwork printer" option.  Would that be the case with the wireless printer?  Anyway, I tried it & the printer then gives me a mismatched paper size error- after I put in the custom size setting & save it as instucted above.  I dodn't know if I'm missing something else along the way. I just removed the 9800 printer driver that I installed before recieving your response & will try to do it again...

I'll give you bunches of KUDOS if I can get this solved & these invites printed by this weekend!!!

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 6 of 9 (11,592 Views)

Hello dazy

What size paper are you trying to print and what paper type options do you have set?

Under the fourth step there are steps in the parentheses for switching the USB001 option to the IP Address option. At this point it will ask you for your printer's IP address (since it is wireless it should have one).

If you could some screenshots of your settings and any errors you receive would be very helpful.

Tutor
dazy
Message 7 of 9 (11,587 Views)

I am trying to print on 5.5x8.5  invitation/card thick paper & have set for "other greeting card" option- wasn't sure what to choose there.

The paper size mismatch error shows up on the printer so , I could not send a screen shot of that.

Also when I added the new printer I did not get the USB001 option to choose,  this forum will not allow the screen shot to be posted- says that character count exceeds 50,000.  My options under the dropdown for the existing port are: LPT1-3, COM1-4, FILE, there are 3 with the IP address of the printer (standard TCP/IP port), HP network recovery port, WSD port, XPSP port (local port).

Thank you for your help & patience!!

Tutor
dazy
Message 8 of 9 (11,584 Views)

I played with the paper setting & got this to work with the "plain paper" setting- even though it's like a card stock, go figure! Thanks for all of your help!!!!!!
Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 9 of 9 (11,576 Views)

Hello dazy

So your all set and able to print your invitations? If so I am happy to hear that.

As per your other question for the IP address the "standard TCP/IP port" option should have been what you wanted since your printer is on the network.

I was wondering what was the name of the screenshot? Seems like an odd message you were receiving.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation