Hp Deskjet 5440 (2065 Views)
Tutor
avon4u
Message 1 of 7 (2,065 Views)

Hp Deskjet 5440

When I print a document, it doesn't print very well. I use some color & some black & white print labels, but when I print them out, it looks like the ink is low. I had already replace inks for both & still acts like it is running low on the them. Tell what I need to solve this?

Master's Graduate
skippyjohnson
Message 2 of 7 (2,044 Views)

Re: Hp Deskjet 5440

Here's where I'd start.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_rule=16862&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&d...

Does any of the documents that appear on that page describe the symptoms you're seeing? 

I am an HP employee.
Tutor
avon4u
Message 3 of 7 (2,033 Views)

I tried, but unable to figure it out. When I print, it prints in very pale colors & unable to see what I print. I reprint & still does same thing!

I did is unstall & reinstall drivers. Then I cleaned where ink cartridges are & found big glob of ink there, I cleaned that area. I reprint after 20 minuntes & still does the same thing!

Help!:smileysad:

Tutor
avon4u
Message 4 of 7 (2,013 Views)

This is similair problem to mine. My problem is that I recently replace both ink cartridges. My printed output looks as if the ink is running out.

How do I check my printer's documentation to find out how to clean the cartridges.

:smileysad:
Question
My printed output looks as if the ink is running out: the colors are wrong, or faded, or streaked, or there are other symptoms. However, the cartridge still feels heavy, as if there is ink in it. Why can the printer not use the remaining ink?
Answer
There are several possible reasons:
  • A color or photo cartridge has run out of one of the basic colors it mixes together to create the colors in your images. The printer cannot print correctly if it lacks one of the basic colors, even if it still contains some of the other colors.
    The cartridge must be replaced.
  • The cartridge contains only a residual amount of ink. There is always a small amount of ink left when the cartridge stops functioning. Please note that HP cartridges are over-filled so that they deliver the advertised quantity of ink before they stop printing.
    The cartridge must be replaced.
  • The cartridge nozzles are plugged with dry ink.
  • The printer is designed to prevent this problem by returning the cartridges to a "capping station" when they are not in use - however, if you unplug the printer without first turning it off with the power button, the printer is unable to do this.
  • Storing cartridges outside of the printer after they have been untaped can also lead to dried ink in the nozzles - if you must take the cartridges out of the printer, put them in a cartridge protector or seal them in a plastic tub (and make sure nothing in the tub touches the nozzles).
  • It may still be possible to recover the cartridge - check your printer's documentation to find out how to clean the cartridges.
    Honor Student
    akonlover09
    Message 5 of 7 (1,929 Views)

i have a printer it is deskjet 5440 series and it just comes with the cable that gets plugged in to the energy what do i do can i but it?

Teacher
    rainbowlady23
    Message 6 of 7 (1,919 Views)

@ akonlover09, I posted in your thread. So if you got the power supply, then you need to purchase the USB cable that will connect your printer to your computer. USB cable is sold separately and the setup poster that came with the printer indicates that the USB cable is not included on your purchase.

Anyway, for the AVON4u,

have you tried these steps?

Align the print cartridges
    After installing a print cartridge, align the print cartridges to ensure the best print quality.
    To align print cartridges:
    1. Load Letter or A4 plain, white paper in the In tray.
    2. Open the printer Toolbox.
    3. Click Align the Print Cartridges.
    Chapter 10
    58 HP Deskjet 5400 series
    4. Click Align, and then follow the onscreen instructions.

Calibrate print quality
    Perform a print quality calibration if light or dark horizontal lines appear in documents
    that are printed with the tri-color and black print cartridges.
    Before performing a print quality calibration, clean the print cartridges, and then reprint
    the document. If the lines still occur, perform a print quality calibration.
    Follow these steps to calibrate print quality:
    1. Load Letter or A4 plain, white paper in the In tray.
    2. Verify that both a black and a tri-color print cartridge are installed in the printer.
    3. Open the printer Toolbox.
    4. Click Print Quality Calibration.
    5. Click Continue, and then follow the onscreen instructions.

Automatically clean print cartridges

1. Open the printer Toolbox.
    2. Click Clean the Print Cartridges.
    3. Click Clean, and then follow the onscreen instructions.

Those steps can be performed if your printer is installed on a certain computer.  Printer toolbox is found under SOLUTION CENTER >> SETTINGS >> Printer TOOLBOX

or you can go to the driver of the printer CONTROL PANEL>> Printers and Faxes (if computer runs on windows XP), PRINTERS for windows Vista and PRINTERS and Devices for windows 7

-Right click on the printer icon: select printing preference

-Go to Features and look for a PRINTER TOOLBOX button.

OR YOU CAN TRY THIS:

Use the Toolbox
    Follow these instructions to use the printer Toolbox:
    1. Open the Printer Properties dialog box.
    2. Click the Services tab, and then click the Service this device button

---Click KUDOS if you want to say THANKS.
    Student
    The_Spell_Man
    Message 7 of 7 (1,585 Views)

If you no longer have the Installation Disc (as I no longer have mine) & you install/upgrade to Windows 7, you are OUT OF LUCK.  There is no Services tab, there is no Toolbox, there is nothing to help you align the cartridges, etc. etc.

Best off spending your money on something where the corporate giant actually cares about the consumer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation