Question

Top Student
tlancio
Message 1 of 14 (14,812 Views)

Hp Officejet 6500 wireless printer won't turn off

I just bought this printer Hp 6500 wireless All in one  two weeks ago, for the first week I had no problems, it installed and was working fine. Than we connected a router to our home office and the printer was unplugged for a short time. When I went to plug the printer back in, it no longer would turn off nor will it work when pressing any of the buttons on the front panel. the only way the printer will turn off now is if I unplug it.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software 4 times now with no luck, it still will not turn off when I plug the printer in nor can I get any of the buttons to work on the front panel. I can use the printer from my PC but it only prints, does not scan or fax from the PC. Anyone have any suggestions as to what's wrong and how I can fix the problem?

tlancio

Student
RSteven
Message 2 of 14 (14,779 Views)

Re: Hp Officejet 6500 wireless printer won't turn off either unless i unplug it

Anyone out there figured out what you can do to fix this

Student
BTPap
Message 3 of 14 (14,770 Views)

Re: Hp Officejet 6500 wireless printer won't turn off

is there a necessity to connect to pc wirelessly? If not, try connecting thru usb/ethernet. There may be a possibility for some reasons, the Wifi  component is causing the freeze... just a wild guess

Student
breyer59
Message 4 of 14 (14,620 Views)

Did you get an answer?

Top Student
orphan-annie
Message 5 of 14 (14,180 Views)

I had the same problem and went on Chat with someone in India and they had me do the following:

Unplug the power cord.  Pres # and 6 at the same time and plug the power cord back in.  This resets the whole darn thing back to the way it was when you bought it.   You will have to reprogram it.

BUT now I cannot get the darn thing to turn off now.  Also, it wouldn't recognize my 2Wire router so I plugged an ethernet cord into the back (take out the yellow plug and you will see where to plug it in) and into the router and it programmed after that.  Disconnect the ethernet cable after you have it set up and it should work fine.

And to the other person that said if we didn't need it to be Wireless, just plug in the ethernet cable.......Why would we buy a wireless if we didn't want to use it as a wireless?????  That was the dumbest answer I have ever heard.

Just FYI, if you choose to do the chat, it is a lot better than being on the phone with someone in India because you are able to read what they are saying instead of trying to understand broken English, but it does take awhile to solve your problems.  It took me over 2 hours but I am glad that option is available to us.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 6 of 14 (14,121 Views)

There is a newer firmware available for your printer. One of the changes is it fixes some connectivity issues between this printer and 2Wire routers. Since you haven't mentioned that you've upgraded the firmware, I'm going to assume you haven't. Please download the Firmware Update Utility from HERE.

Now it is important that the printer should be connected by the USB cable to install this new firmware. Plus, the printer should be in a ready state, i.e. not frozen, or not showing any error msgs. It should show the date and time on the display. For best results, I suggest that you temporarily turn off the Wireless Radio on the printer. Also, before you connect the USB cable, insert the installation disk for the printer. You should get an option called Add A Device if the software is already installed. Click on it, select the connection type as USB, and the plug in the USB cable when prompted. Once this installation completes, run the firmware update utility.

Post back here for any clarifications.

----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Student
kxwilson
Message 7 of 14 (12,938 Views)

Thank you Orphan-Annie, your post is just what I needed.  After weeks of searching for a solution I called HP.  They tried to sale me a new HP with a discount because my issue was hardware not software.  My HP is maybe two years old so why would I buy HP again if it only last a year?  Also  HPchat room sale price was more than the price posted on the website.  I decided to give it one more try to fine help on the forum board and found you.  All is good and working now.  I'm not sure but I think my control panel locked up when ATT installed ATT univ.  The fix is so simple HP should post it.

Honor Student
Karen_Louise
Message 8 of 14 (12,224 Views)

Mine did the same thing (strangely after the first week or so after purchase, and then again today (1 month after purchase).  Just stumbled across the solution (when I called HP support they suggested that I would have to have it replaced because it was a hardward problems< ha!)  All you have to do is unplug the printer, wait about 10 mins. then when you plug it back in, have the # sign and the 3 held down at the same time.  Then release them and it will do a partial reset, and all will be well again. 

I really don't know why the person at the call centre didn't know about that!

KRG Student
Student
KRG
Message 9 of 14 (11,379 Views)

I can't get my setup button to print a report either.  Windows 7 isn't listed in the firmware upgrade you refer to so I was hesitant to apply it.  Can you adivse further? 

93 Student
Student
Message 10 of 14 (8,506 Views)

Re: how do i turn off my wireless radio on my hp all in one printer model f 4580

how do i turn off the wireless radio on my hp all in one printer model f 4580

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation