Hp photosmart c8100 all-in-one series printer power cycling on/off/on/off/on. Help?? Problem reset (10358 Views)
Top Student
karitsema
Message 1 of 34 (10,358 Views)

Hp photosmart c8100 all-in-one series printer power cycling on/off/on/off/on. Help?? Problem reset

I have a HP Photosmart C8180 Printer.

Printer is cycling on/off/on/off.  Display lights up blue with colored strip along the bottom then turns off and then again turns itself back on over and over.  Have tried unplugging from printer , then unplugging from outlet, waiting 15 seconds plugging back into outlet, LED light does turn on, plugging back into printer to reset but still does the same. 

If the "print photos" and "cancel" buttons are both held down when plugging the printer back in and released after 2 seconds, the printer does not continue to cycle. At this point the blue light near the camera sybol, and the power button remains lit, with no display.   If you press power button at this point, it begins to cycle on/off/on/off again.

Does anyone know what I else to try? 

PhD Student
bassergitz
Message 2 of 34 (10,338 Views)

Re: Hp photosmart c8100 all-in-one series printer power cycling on/off/on/off/on. Help?? Problem re

ON printer control panel

go to set up>tools>restore factory defaults

if not fixed , uninstall the hp software & reinstall using latest hp software from website.
Although I am working on behalf of HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name : )
If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly : )
Happy Troubleshooting : )
Top Student
karitsema
Message 3 of 34 (10,324 Views)

Re: Hp photosmart c8100 all-in-one series printer power cycling on/off/on/off/on. Help?? Problem re

Unfortunately, I can not get to the control panel.  It only makes it to the Blue screen with the rainbow of colors across the bottom.  It stays at this screen 10-20 seconds then shuts itself off.  Then tries to turn itself back on and does the same thing.

Any other ideas??

PhD Student
bassergitz
Message 4 of 34 (10,317 Views)

Hard Reset – While printer is powered ON, pull

the power cord from the printer then from the

wall. After 30 seconds reconnect power to

wall and printer. This will trigger a ‘dirty power

up’ and restore the printer to a known good

condition (if it is possible). No user settings

are lost with a ‘hard reset’.
This ‘Hard Reset’ is one of the most powerful

tools to use when the printer hardware is not

functioning properly!

Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name : )
If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly : )
Top Student
alison2kennedy
Message 5 of 34 (10,290 Views)

I am also experiencing the same problem with my HP C8180 AiO - purchased approx 30 months ago.

Problem started two days ago - computer just keeps cycling off/on/off/on.  Have tried resetting broadband, tried unplugging printer at the wall, have taken out papertrays etc, but nothing seems to work.

The screen just runs briefly with colour strip at bottom before it switches off again - doesn't get to menu stage.

Have tried looking for a solution on HP website to no avail - once a machine is out warranty HP don't seem interested.  Short of throwing machine out of window does anyone have any suggestions??

PhD Student
bassergitz
Message 6 of 34 (10,277 Views)

Have you tried this:

Performing a Power Reset
  1. Turn off the HP All-in-One by pressing the On button.
  2. Unplug the power cord from the back of the HP All-in-One.
  3. Plug the power cord back into the HP All-in-One.
  4. Turn on the HP All-in-One by pressing the On button.

Top Student
alison2kennedy
Message 7 of 34 (10,267 Views)

Thank you for your solution.

Unfortunately I had already tried this solution but just to make sure I did carry this again to no avail.  Pushing the power button doesn't seem to make any difference - the printer has gone into automatic cycling mode and doesn't pay any attention to someone pushing the power button.

What miff's me most is the fact that this printer at approx £200 was not the cheapest on the market at the time and it's only lasted approx 2.5 years.  Strange that at least one other printer has experienced the same problem at about the same time - I wonder if there are any more and if this is a weakness in this HP Photosmart C8180 AiO model.  Obviously not up to HP's usual high standards.  I think I will have to look for a new printer - but very much doubt if it will be HP.

Thanks once again for your suggestion.

Top Student
karitsema
Message 8 of 34 (10,266 Views)

Alison,

Just wanted to let you know that my printer is working again. 

One of the suggestions I read was to unplug the printer. Then while plugging the printer in again, hold down the "print photos" and "cancel" buttons.  Release after 2 seconds.   When I tried this the following is the result I found:  

If the "print photos" and "cancel" buttons are both held down when plugging the printer back in and released after 2 seconds, the printer does not continue to cycle. At this point the blue light near the camera sybol, and the power button remains lit, with no display.   If you press power button at this point, it begins to cycle on/off/on/off again.

Feeling frustrated with nothing working, I tried again.  Held down the "print photos" and "cancel" buttons while plugging the printer back in, then release after 2-3 seconds.   Once again, the blue light near the camera symbol was lit along with the power button, still nothing on the display.   I then decided to give up, and I left it still plugged in with the blue light on and power button light on.  Two days later I happened to be near the printer and touched the display.  To my amazment,  it was working! Just like nothing had happened to it. 

I'm not sure this will work for you but it's probably worth a try.    Good Luck!!!  Let me know if you get yours to work.

Student
nyleneb
Message 9 of 34 (10,262 Views)

I am having the same problem.  I have tried all the above suggestions, but nothing helps.  I, too, am ready to throw it through the window.  My printer is less than 2 years old.  For a few days I could get it to print a page or two, but today it stops 2 inches into the first page and turns itself off.

We've always bought HP printers, but this has really soured me.  It sounds to me as if this is a problem unique to the HP 8180 all in one.  I dread the process of buying and learning a new printer.

Top Student
alison2kennedy
Message 10 of 34 (10,237 Views)

Hi there

Thank you for you suggestion.

I'm glad that at least one of us managed to finally get their HP 8180 printer to work.  I've unplugged it and tried restarting it when pushing the "print photos" and "cancel" buttons on quite a few occasions over the last few days - all to no avail.  Even left it switched on for a couple of days as you did to see if it reset itself but still no joy.

The only difference that I managed to make twice was to get the screen to change from HP start up screen with scrolling colour bar at the bottom to a totally green screen with the numbers 1 2 3 4 5 across it and the exclamation mark lit up.  Pushing power button doesn't make any difference - it doesn't do anything!

HP appear to be oblivious to the problems being experienced by this printer.  Reading other people's problems HP's response is one of either giving you a solution that even a five-year old would think of, or telling you that they haven't heard of this problem before - even though a number of complaints have already been logged for that problem.  Great shame that they couldn't get this printer to work right as it was excellent for the short time that it worked!

I think that I've given up with mine and it's time that it headed for the recycling centre and I'll start looking for a new one.  I've seen some good reviews for a rival company which I'm seriously thinking of trying.

Many thanks again for taking the time to respond.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation