Question

Student
lpease
Message 1 of 5 (1,801 Views)

I have an HP Officejet 4500 that makes a horrific noise each time it starts to print..

I have followed the troubleshooting guide for "noises" and cleaned absolutely everything and the printer still makes the noise - it sounds like a machine gun going off in the movies.  The printer still prints/scans/copies fine - it just makes this horrific noise.  Has anyone else experienced this, and if so can it be corrected?

kvh Student
Student
kvh
Message 2 of 5 (1,769 Views)

Re: I have an HP Officejet 4500 that makes a horrific noise each time it starts to print..

My Deskjet F2400 started doing the same thing recently after new cartridges - don't know the fix, though.

Honor Student
mganim
Message 3 of 5 (1,229 Views)

Re: I have an HP Officejet 4500 that makes a horrific noise each time it starts to print..

Mine does too and I think that it has to due with non HP ink cartridges or cartridges that are refilled.  I have been refilling mine at Costco.

Student
LBeghtel54
Message 4 of 5 (987 Views)

[ Edited ]

My HP Officejet 4500 Desktop just recently started making this horrific 'grinding gear shattering' sound... and I've checked the back paper jam and the paper gears -- nothing there.

The last person mentioned that they thought it was from using 'non-HP ink cartridges' but I've used both in the last few weeks, original and Office Max refilled originals, and had the same problem.

So I'm thinking it has to be something like a loss of lubricant, or something else stuck inside (see http://www.fixya.com/support/t3761689-printer_makes_grinding_sound_as_gears ). But whatever it is it sure sounds like it is about to tear itself apart!

And it's getting worse.  No offense intended but HP Printers and Laptops are the worst for breaking down.

Anyone find an answer for this problem -- email me..[Personal Information Removed]

Good Luck!

Top Student
Trouble24_7
Message 5 of 5 (675 Views)

The fix for mine was to clean the carrier ribbon.

Just behind the silver carriage bar that the ink cartridges travel on you'll see a clear plastic strip that extends from one side to the other of the printer.

Very gently, after turning off and unplugging the printer, use a lint free cotton cloth dampened with some isopropyl  alcohol clean the face of the ribbon, being carefull not to remove either end from the pin anchors that support it.

Move the ink carriage  as needed  but focus mainly on the right side as this seems to be where the carriage gets it's indexing marks from.

Worked for me..... no more grinding sounds like plastic gears were about to tear themselves apart.  Hope it works for you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation