Question

Student
shdeshde
Message 1 of 3 (3,149 Views)
Accepted Solution

I want to print black and white with empty color cartridge. My model is HP Deskjet 4288 All-in-one.

I want to print black and white with empty color cartridge. My model is HP Deskjet 4288 All-in-one.

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 3 (3,132 Views)

Re: I want to print black and white with empty color cartridge. My model is HP Deskjet 4288 All-in-o

Hi,

Unfortunately you (or we) can't print black without color cartridges even we can set the printer only print grayscale as default. This is to protect the printhead, w/o ink the printhead may damage.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 3 of 3 (3,126 Views)

Re: I want to print black and white with empty color cartridge. My model is HP Deskjet 4288 All-in-o

The Deskjet F4288 has integrated printheads on the ink supply.  These are replaced with each cartrdige change so there is no concern about printing with empty color or black cartridges.  

You should be able to print in "ink backup mode" by removing the color (or black, but not both) cartridges.  There will likely be a warning message about ink backup mode but you should be able to print and the printer will use whichever cartridge is available.  In ink backup mode with the black cartrdige only the color areas will be printed as shades of gray.  If printing in ink backup mode with only the color cartridge installed then black will be printed by mixing the colors.

See page 75 of the manual here, which says:

Use ink-backup mode
Use the ink-backup mode to operate the HP All-in-One with only one print cartridge. The
ink-backup mode is initiated when a print cartridge is removed from the print cartridge
carriage. During ink-backup mode, the product can only print jobs from the computer.
You cannot initiate a print job from the control panel (such as copying or scanning an
original).

NOTE: When the HP All-in-One operates in ink-backup mode, a message is
displayed on screen. If the message is displayed and two print cartridges are installed
in the product, verify that the protective piece of plastic tape has been removed from
each print cartridge. When plastic tape covers the print cartridge contacts, the product
cannot detect that the print cartridge is installed.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation