ICC profiles needed (27723 Views)
Top Student
JimH
Message 1 of 4 (27,723 Views)
Accepted Solution

ICC profiles needed

Hi, I give up. I want to follow this procedure as found on the HP website:
HP Printers -  Using ICC Profiles for Color Photos in Adobe Photoshop. However, after two days of searching I have been unable to locate the HP ICC profiles for my printer, paper and ink type, all HP products. They are not currently listed in the drop down profiles of step 3 in the above article. Some older deskjet models are all that are there. I am looking for the ICC profiles for:
Printer: HP Photosmart C6380
Paper:  HP Premium Plus Photo Paper Soft Glossy Q5450A
Ink:  HP Vivera Inks.
Does anyone have a link to where they are located? Thank you!! 
Intern
nahmed
Message 2 of 4 (27,775 Views)

Re: ICC profiles needed

Creating Custom ICC Profiles for Color Photos

Select File , then Print with Preview . (Photoshop 6 and prior: select File , then Print .)
      Select the Show More Options check box, and Color Management from the drop-down menu.
      In the Profile menu, select Same as Source .

The printer driver must also be configured to properly use custom profiles. Use the steps below to configure the printer driver.

Select File , Print , and then Properties , Color .
      Select Managed by application from the Color management menu.
      Click on the Paper/Quality tab and select the appropriate paper type from the Type is menu.
   4. Click OK , and then OK again to print.

NOTE:     The paper type must be selected in the printer software even when creating a profile. Maximum ink volume limits are determined by the paper-type selection, not through the ICC profile.
With these settings, a print without any color management intervention from either the printer driver or the application will be produced. This print is suitable for measurement and profile creation

OR

Using ICC Profiles for Color Photos in Adobe Photoshop

Select File , then Print with Preview . (For Photoshop 6 and prior select File , and then Print ).
      For Photoshop 7 and CS, in the Print with Preview dialog, select the Show More Options checkbox, and Color Management from the menu.
      In the Profile menu, select the profile that corresponds to the printer, paper type, and ink set.
      Set the ICC rendering intent in the Intent menu. Most users will want to use the Perceptual intent to give the most subjectively pleasing color reproduction.
      Checking the Use Black Point Compensation box is also recommended.

The printer driver must also be configured to properly use the profile. Use the steps below to configure the printer driver.

Select File , Print , and then Properties , Color .
      Select Managed by application from the Color management menu.
      Click on the Paper/Quality tab and select the appropriate paper type from the Type is menu.
   4. Click OK , and then OK again to print.

NOTE:     If you select an ICC profile for your printer under Print with Preview in Adobe Photoshop that selection will be retained, even when later using the Photoshop Print or Print one Copy functions instead of Print with Preview . If you want to return to using the default sRGB mode after using ICC profiles, you must go back into the Print with Preview menu and select either sRGB or Same as Source as your printer profile. If the profile setting in Photoshop is not consistent with the printer driver settings, wrong colors will result.
All of my posts are my opinions.

In the HP Support Forums, clicking on the Kudos star is how you can appreciate.
Student
Novell
Message 3 of 4 (25,807 Views)

Your first solution seems to refer to Print in the Organiser workspace and the second solution to Print in the editor workspace. I will call them Solution 1 and Solution 2.

Solution 1

At the end of this solution you write as follows: 

With these settings, a print without any color management intervention from either the printer driver or the application will be produced.

Do these settings have any implications for the choice made under "Color settings" under "Edit" in the main menu toolbar.  Which color setting would you recommend?

Solution 2

Under the heading " Using ICC Profiles for Color Photos in Adobe Photoshop" point 3  reads as follows "  In the Profile menu, select the profile that corresponds to the printer, paper type, and ink set.".

How do I select  which profile to choose from this extensive list? Like your original enquirer I have been unable to find out any details regarding profiles for my HP Photosmart 3110 printer from the HP website.

I would like to select Adobe RGB (1998) as I have selected Adobe RGB on my Pentax K10D camera. However, I have no idea whether the HP Photosmart 3110 supports that profile.

Which profile do you suggest I should choose?   

Incidentally, where is the "Black Point Compensation box" you refer to in Point 5?

Further down Point 2 reads "Select Managed by application from the Color management menu".

Does this mean that colour management is being run by Photoshop rather than the printer?

Back in the Photoshop Editor workspace what do I select under Color Handling?  "Photoshop Elements Manages Colors", "Printer Manages Colors" or "No Color Management"?

If I choose "Photoshop Elements Manages Colors", an "i" note in the editor workspace requires me to "disable color management in the printer preferences dialog" . Is this consistent with selecting "Managed by application"  in the color management menu?

I hope I have worded my enquiry clearly.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Many thanks.

David Novell

Student
redd01
Message 4 of 4 (22,656 Views)

I recently purchased the HP 7500A. I am trying to print photos using Photoshop CS5 The printer profile for this printer does not appear in the printer profile drop-down list.

I've tried using the profile of the 6300 printer, but the prints have a reddish cast to them.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation