Ink System Failure - New Photosmart Premium c309a (25886 Views)
Student
tigres17
Message 1 of 24 (25,886 Views)

Ink System Failure - New Photosmart Premium c309a

Help. Nothing will correct this problem.  Bought new cartridges & Printer is just stuck. Turning it on & off as suggested - Does Nothing.

Does anyone know the Solution as sounds like others are having some D__ issue. ? 

Student
CrepeLady
Message 2 of 24 (25,819 Views)

Re: Ink System Failure - New Photosmart Premium c309a

I have just taken delivery of Photosmart Premium c309a fax all in one and am having the same problem.  Everytime I turn the printer back on I get the "Ink System Failure" message which tells me to turn the printer off then on again.  I do this and nothing resolves.  The only way I can resolve it is to completely disconnect from the power supply for 10 secs then connect again.  It then works. But I have to do this everytime I turn it on each day.  As this is a brand new printer, should I send it back or is there something I can do as a permanent solution?
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 3 of 24 (25,812 Views)

I suggest you both call HP tech support, as this hardware issue can sometimes be resolved by doing special resets on the printer. The problem will most likely be with the printhead, so HP would replace that for you. If you don't want to go through the trouble of call them, then exchange this printer. This is a pretty rare error, and it's unlikely it'll happen on another printer(the same model, of course).
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Top Student
Pxie
Message 4 of 24 (25,824 Views)

I phoned HP support who took me through some reset actions.  For anyone else who has the problem, here's what I remember to do:

Press *(star) and # (hash) together on the printer and let go.

Key 1 then2 then3

Press the right arrow key until the onscreen menu shows System Configuration

Press OK

Press right arrow key until failure status is displayed

OK again

I think there was another OK after this but not sure????

Keep pressing cancel til you get back to the main menu then

Unplug from power for 1 minute then plug back in

Power back on.

I have done this and its working ok at the moment.  It awaits to be seen if it starts up correctly the next time I turn it on!

Honor Student
MadDog_
Message 5 of 24 (25,374 Views)

You are definitely my hero, at least for today.

I have a C6180 Photosmart printer and was getting the "Ink System Failure" message. I finally called HP suport and was told that since my printer was out of warranty (1 1/2 yrs. old, 6 months past the 1 year mark), I would have to pay $35 to try to fix it and there was no better than a 50/50 chance, or trade in/trade up my printer. Basically toss my old printer and get a new one. 

I came across your post and did the *# 123 to get into the "secret menu" and once I reset the failure from the configuration menu, I was good to go.

Thanks!!

Top Student
Pxie
Message 6 of 24 (25,334 Views)

Glad this worked for you.  Sadly, although it worked for me initially, the next time I started the printer the same problems occurred again.  I ended up returning it as it was under warrenty, only a few days old, and HP were great!  I now have a new printer of the same model C309a which is running perfectly.:smileywink:
Honor Student
naakiah
Message 7 of 24 (24,402 Views)

I disagree with your comment that this  is a rare thing to happen it would appear from the forums it happens to several different models and happens a lot! It just happened to me on my C7250 I do not consider a printer old at 1 1/2 years and since this was the first time i had to change the ink cartridges it is used very little. Printer was working fine until i changed the ink and now all I get is "Ink System Failure" error code Oxc18a0201. After reading several posts by others it would seem this happens a lot and HP has no solution and has known about this for some time. My suggestion is take the printer back get your money and buy a different brand as this occurs with all  models within 2 years you were lucky as you are under warranty the rest of us are up the creek without a paddle

Honor Student
naakiah
Message 8 of 24 (24,401 Views)

If you are not under warranty this customer support costs $34

Student
ianteri123
Message 9 of 24 (19,842 Views)

It's unbelievable that HP do not yet have this issue under control. To make matters worse, I use their support including on line chat , they ask me to participate in a customer survey where I do nothing but labor the frustration and dissatisfaction i and many other users of this product have and i hear zero from them. clearly they are going through the motions of providing world class customer service , it's not of true value for them.

Very disappointed , doing the normal thing and telling many people about my bad experience , the C309a achieved very early retirement. My contribution to Ink Cartridges will be sorely missed!

Honor Student
CANCELLI
Message 10 of 24 (18,112 Views)

INK SYSTEM FAILURE (ON SCREEN)  ....PLEASE TURN PRINTER OFF and then ON

I have done this many times to no avail......help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation