Question
Ink cartridge empty but it's not
Replies (166)

Honor Student
Dara444
Message 101 of 167 (11,903 Views)

Re: Ink cartridge empty but it's not

No, tis was never resolved.  It is an older printer and my customer opted to swap to another printer and throw away the HP Photosmart C6280.  Sad but that is what happened in my case.

Honor Student
sparky2011
Message 102 of 167 (11,564 Views)

I had exactly the same problem, starting with the Magenta cartridge.

The HP Print Diagnostic Utility was the fix to this problem, thanks very much to 'lindygee' for posting that fix.

I found the tool on the HP website, its called 'HPPDU.EXE', and was available at this page (may have moved since posting):

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-88707-1&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&...

Intern
stestardi
Message 103 of 167 (11,550 Views)

This utility appears to be intended to fix software/driver problems on the computer, not on the printer.  Were you getting error messages on the printer control panel?  If so, can you quickly describe the steps you went through to fix it?

Thanks.

Honor Student
sparky2011
Message 104 of 167 (11,542 Views)

I've had my printer for approximately three years.  On this occasion, I had replaced two cartridges at the same time (Cyan and Magenta).  Upon completing the replacement, the printer (D7360) reported both as being full, as did the Ink Status on the computer.

However, when attempting to print, a window appeared stating that the Magenta cartridge was empty, and that only Black and White printing could be performed - continued use could cause the printer to not print at all.

I too had attempted the many steps that others have tried to resolve.

With the 'HPPDU' tool, all I did was run that on the computer - the 'HPPDU' tool said all was well, but somehow the problem of the computer reporting that the Magenta cartridge as empty had been resolved by running that tool.

My reply will not have clarified any as to why the problem is resolved in my case, but it goes some way to describing further what I saw and did, and hopefully will go some way to help others.

Again, kudos to 'lindygee' for spotting the fix.

Intern
stestardi
Message 105 of 167 (11,526 Views)

Thanks, sparky2011.  I think you are having a different problem than many of us.  When I replace the cartridge, the ink level on the printer itself shows as empty.  Did you happen to notice what the ink levels on your printer showed after you first replaced the cartidges?

Honor Student
munchiniwa
Message 106 of 167 (11,364 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have an OfficeJet Pro 8500. It said the Magenta cartridge was low. I was surprised because the ink level utility says 1/2 full and I have not had the cartridge that long. So I took the cartridge out to inspect it and now it says ALL my cartridges are DEPLETED -- not just low, DEPLETED. Yet the ink level utility still says that they have ink in them. Obviously HP has rigged the system. 

So now my choice is to replace the printer with a Canon Pixma MX-870 All-in-one that does not do these ink checks for $126 or buy all new cartridges for $105 from Amazon and take a chance of it happening again. Which should I do????

{Content Removed: no legal discussion permitted} I loved my HP 1200c. It would print till only white came out and lasted 10 years. Never a glitch. Same with my old HP 950c. THOSE were great printers. The new ones really suck.

Student
notw
Message 107 of 167 (11,333 Views)

Have a photosmart D7360. only use it for black printing. black ink runs out. I replace it. Still shows empty. go to printer properties and select print in black only. still shows to replace black ink. call hp. lady on the phone tells me not to waste any more $ on ink, the printer is defective. She will send me a B210a all in one for $99 free shipping. Seriously?

Top Student
L17_
Message 108 of 167 (11,239 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have an HP Photosmart D7355 printer. All my ink cartridges are HP and are not expired. They are displayed on the printer screen as having plenty of ink. When I print, it definitely looks like it is not running low on ink at all.

But here's the problem. Even after I replaced the cartridges, whenever I print, this screen comes up:

black ink empty

I've been just clicking Continue and ignoring it because I know my black ink is not empty, and it's never a problem as long as I am printing in "Normal" quality.

However, when I try to print in "Best" quality, it will not let me print. This is the window that comes up:

ink empty

And, as I said, my cartidges are HP, they are not empty, they do not show up as empty (or even very low) on the ink level chart, and they are not expired either.

This is probably wrong, but I have a theory as to what is causing this. There are two sizes of cartridges for this printer, the normal size, and the XL size which contains more ink. I have bought both kinds, and I have been replacing the cartridges as they run out, since they run out at different times. I used to have all XL cartridges in my printer, but then the black, dark blue and dark magenta each ran out, so I replaced the cartridges with Normal size ones. I think that possibly  the printer could be reading those cartridges as being almost out of ink since they have a much lower level of ink than the XL ones, even though they are new cartridges. This is the only thing I can come up with, because I've looked everywhere online and I have tried everything, including the HP Printer Diagnostic Tool (which did nothing at all for me), and I still cannot print in 4800 dpi...I don't want to have to pay $80 to ask HP about this, or pay about the same thing for new cartridges..

I doubt anyone will have an answer for me, but if anyone does, please let me know, because I need to print a project in the 4800 dpi print quality setting today...

Student
rme1988
Message 109 of 167 (11,054 Views)

Same problem with print quality 02 cartriges and every time you run test page, calibrate, align, and clean it's time to replace another cartrige. Now even with brand new cartriges say they are empty and nobody has a solution! Time for new cartriges,... by another manufacturer!

Student
SteveLJ
Message 110 of 167 (10,775 Views)

Hi All,

I've the same problem as described by many above, i.e. yellow cartridge reports as empty, but appears full. After trying a couple of things listed (including removing the battery which backs up the date), I appear t have gotten it to work. To do this I swapped the blue and yellow cartridges around, to see if the fault would the appear on the blue cartridge meter. In order to swap them about, I had to rip out the plastic key, which prevents the wrong colour being insterted (brutal, but the print was given to me free). After doing this, both cartidges reported OK (although they were in the wrong slots). After switching them back again, they then continued to work (i.e. the yellow no longer reported full (actually it reported half full, which may be correct). Although the colours are now messed up (probably due to residual ink of the wrong colour in the tubes), the printed will now print in colour. Not sure if how long it will continue to work for, but it you're desparate and have little to loose, it could be worth a try. Good luck! Steve

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation