Ink cartridge empty but it's not (54607 Views)
Student
funny
Message 111 of 167 (4,448 Views)

Re: Ink cartridge empty but it's not D7360

I had same problem.  I ordered 3 times 72 yellow inks before I noticed its problem.  I know your frustration as I spent hours and still could find out why...

I bought about 20 or more HP laser printers in the past,  I still had about 8 HP printers.  I noticed this company is failing since 2007. if  they don't take care of their customers, their name will not exist in the future.

I bought Canon at first time.  It works great.   That is all I can do to make my life easier.

Student
jean019
Message 112 of 167 (4,332 Views)

Re: Ink cartridge empty but it's not

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I got the same issue on a HP D7160.

Windows 7 x86 tells me to change the Magenta cardridge again and again.

I tried the HPPDU.exe tool advised above and now it's OK, the message disappered.

Thanks !

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 113 of 167 (4,325 Views)

jean019 wrote:

[snip]

I tried the HPPDU.exe tool advised above and now it's OK, the message disappered.

Thanks !

Alternative link to download it (seems to be broken on the HP website) : [snip]

The HP site uses ftp:// file transfers which some browser settings may block.  If the standard HP link for the HPDU at: 

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL34513/mp-91788-1/HPPDU.exe

does not work then try the alternate link:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL34513/mp-91788-1/HPPDU.exe

I would suggest NOT downloading exe files from unknown sources.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Intern
stestardi
Message 114 of 167 (4,318 Views)

There are two different problems going on here, folks.  Many of us are getting the 'Replace cartridge now' message on the control panel of our printers.  The HPPDU.exe tool will not fix that.  If you only get the message on your PC, then HPPDU.exe may be effective.

Student
lynniesan
Message 115 of 167 (4,206 Views)

I replaced my magenta cartridge a few days ago and kept  getting the same "replace cartridge" message or print b/w only.  When I clicked on b/w only, it would print in color.  Resetting, removing cartridges, installing an updated driver were all attempted, but kept getting the same message.

Followed the suggestion of running the diagnostic tool, and voila.  The diagnostic tool report was all green, no problems.  Printed?  Error message went away. Yippee!!!!:smileyvery-happy:

Here's the tool I downloaded from the hp website.  

Hope this fix works for you, too!

Intern
stestardi
Message 116 of 167 (4,197 Views)

lynniesan, were you getting the error message on your PC or on the printer control panel? 

Top Student
janbsn
Message 117 of 167 (4,100 Views)

[ Edited ]

We have been having this problem for months on our HP 7280 and I finally sat down last night to research how I might fix it.  Thank you longtimemacuser for giving us the info about holding down the 2 buttons while unplugging the power source (page 1 of this forum from 12/10/08).  The only problem we had was that it also semed to disable the printer and I then had to uninstall/reinstall it  - and we did shut down the printer and our router and then let them both come back up so that the wireless would work again - and it did.  Thanks for the info - I've printed it and am keeping it for future reference.

Intern
stestardi
Message 118 of 167 (4,092 Views)

janbsn, were you getting the error message on your PC or on the printer control panel? 

Top Student
janbsn
Message 119 of 167 (4,090 Views)

On both.  We'd try to print and the message would come up on the computer screen about not being able to print, so I'd click "ok" - and then have to get up and go to the printer to respond to the error message there by clicking on the printer's "ok" button - then it would print what I needed - but it was a tedious process for each piece of paper I needed to print.  Now it is working as it should.  Hope it helps you.

Tutor
AllBackJack
Message 120 of 167 (3,937 Views)

Thanks to janbsn for the posting of 12-03-3022 of the solution (which in turn was a posting of longtimemacuser's solution of 12-10-2008). It worked fine on our L7650 printer.

To make life simpler for all those that are fumbling around for this answer, here's the posting from 3 years ago.

Please try the following step's

• Power your C5150 printer on [or L7650 or 7280 or whatever your printer model number is] and remove all 6 ink cartridges [4 in our case] and close the cartridge access door
  • With your C5150 powered on unplug the power cord directly from the back
  • Press and hold the OK button and the HELP button down together while you plug the power cord back in
  • Keep the button's held down until the display screen goes blank then release the button's and power your C5150 back on
  • When you are prompted on the display screen to install the cartridges install all 6 cartridges and close the cartridge access door

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation