Question
Ink cartridge empty but it's not
Replies (169)

Tutor
SanityClause
Message 21 of 170 (17,187 Views)

Re: Ink cartridge empty but it's not

Same problem - I replaced the ink cartridge twice, cleaned the contacts, tried the "reset" route, all to no avail.  Am I to assume that there is no real solution and I'm just going to have to trash the printer and waste all my spare ink?  This is the third HP printer I've had that just stopped working for no apparent reason, and with no solution to some apparently minor electronic glitchI  Why can't I just turn off the ink level monitor and keep printing until the output looks bad like we did in the good old days?  I certainly don't plan to buy any more HP crap.  Maybe I can get one for ten bucks on eBay.
Tutor
zzgoose
Message 22 of 170 (16,660 Views)

I have a solution don't buy HP printers they appeear to have problems built into them , and they all have it looking at the posts, all the ink cartridges my C5180 shows to be empty are not, I tried resetting it and it keeps showing more  cartridges empty I've replaced 2 of them, there is no excuse for this, they build garbage.
Top Student
TJ5309
Message 23 of 170 (16,610 Views)

To everyone, check the expiration date on the original package.  I have (2) new cartridges with the expiration date of 07/2008 on each.  What happens when I install these today or (6) months from now?
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 24 of 170 (16,561 Views)

The package will only have the 'Install By' date, which is 6 months from the end of warranty date. The actual End of Warranty date will be printed on the cartridge itself. If you install the cartridge after the EoW date, the printer may reject it, and if it doesnt, then the print quality may not be great as the ink MAY have dried up.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Tutor
zzgoose
Message 25 of 170 (16,555 Views)

How did you reset the printer?
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 26 of 170 (16,636 Views)

zzgoose wrote:
 How did you reset the printer?

For teh C5180, unplug the power cable while the printer is on. Now press and hold the OK and Help buttons and then plug in the power cable. Continue holding the buttons for about 20 seconds after you plug the cable in. This should reset the printer. Also, i suggest you remove all the cartridges before resetting it.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 27 of 170 (16,610 Views)

TJ5309 wrote:
To everyone, check the expiration date on the original package.  I have (2) new cartridges with the expiration date of 07/2008 on each.  What happens when I install these today or (6) months from now?

It really depends on your printer model and the type of cartridge.  If the cartridges have an integrated printhead (printhead and ink in the cartridge) then the cartridge will function fine (as long as it has not failed in storage).  Color cartridges are more prone to failure after years of storage, especially if they are stored on their side or at elevated temperatures.   Printers that have separate printheads (either user replaceable or permanent) and ink supplies generally do enforce installation dates and may reject cartridges that are too old.  This is to protect the printheads in the case of ink that has become thickened with age.  Some of the printers that enforce an expiration allow the user to override the expiration.  See this link for some information.

For the cartridges that do have an enforced expiration the date is typically 1-2 years beyond the end of warranty date.  The end of warranty date is typically at least six months beyond the "install by" date printed on the package.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Tutor
zzgoose
Message 28 of 170 (16,459 Views)

reset the printer , now it shows 4 colors to be empty that are not, do you have any other suggestions?   I would appreciate any help at htis point, I'm about ready to give up...thanks

Honor Student
AKdan
Message 29 of 170 (16,441 Views)

Well, I see my problem is not unique. I have a 3210. Up to last week, it worked just fine. Last week, I replaced the magenta cartridge (exp. date 12/02/2010). The display shows a full cartridge, but everytime I print the display screen comes up with a message saying I need to replace the cartridge and the computer comes up with a splash screen saying that the cartridge is near empty and replace it.

I see there's been several suggestions on removing the cartridges, unplugging, replugging, reinstalling the cartridges, etc.; however, those comments are for a different printer and the HP ee said, at one point, that that solution only works for those printers.

So, what's going to work for my printer?? 

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 30 of 170 (16,416 Views)

Are you sure that the printer is asking you to replace the same Magenta cartridge and NOT a different cartridge?
I am an ex-HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation