Question

Student
sk1985
Message 1 of 3 (1,703 Views)

Ink consumption on HP Officejet Pro 8500 A909a

In just over 10 months and with 75 total pages printed (5-10 color in that total) my black cartridge rated at 1000 pages ran out and color cartridges are 2/3 full. If I understand HP's position, Color cartridges gradually decrease over time because they are used even on black pages and there is some evaporation etc. But the empty black cartridge seems indefensible.

Chatted with HP support and they are trying to convince me that a cartridge once opened has a life of 6 months. This seems like a ludicrous assertion to me. Does anybody have comments regarding this alleged 6 month lifespan.

Master's Graduate
skippyjohnson
Message 2 of 3 (1,685 Views)

Re: Ink consumption on HP Officejet Pro 8500 A909a

Here's an HP site that explains a bit about how ink is used by the printer.  Not sure if this explains what you're looking for, but there's some additional information in there. 

http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/en-019/articles/howInkIsUsed.html?cCode=us

I am an HP employee.
Student
marvin_z
Message 3 of 3 (1,348 Views)

Re: Ink consumption on HP Officejet Pro 8500 A909a

I replaced both print heads and the yellow ink cartridge. and have printed less than 5 pages and already the printer gave me a message that the yellow ink was about empty. I also checked the print head condition and it shows them as only fair.   I have printed less than 500 pages since I bought it and I have changed all ink cartridges at least 3 times and yellow more than 3 times.  I also changed one print head 3 times and the other 2 times and sill does not print a decent looking page.

This is the worst printer I have ever purchased. I do not recommend the buying an officejet printer.

sk1985 wrote:

In just over 10 months and with 75 total pages printed (5-10 color in that total) my black cartridge rated at 1000 pages ran out and color cartridges are 2/3 full. If I understand HP's position, Color cartridges gradually decrease over time because they are used even on black pages and there is some evaporation etc. But the empty black cartridge seems indefensible.

Chatted with HP support and they are trying to convince me that a cartridge once opened has a life of 6 months. This seems like a ludicrous assertion to me. Does anybody have comments regarding this alleged 6 month lifespan.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation