Question

Tutor
teka2u
Message 1 of 26 (6,937 Views)
Accepted Solution

Ink washing away C5180

I have always used HP printers, but my latest printer Photosmart C5180 All in One is giving me problems especially if printed page gets wet. I have noticed that a drop of liquid causes the ink printing on the paper fades and runs. Makes it bad when you print out a map and walking in the rain just for it not to be one bit readable. It uses the HP 02 ink cartridge, which is all I use in my printer is HP products. Does anyone know a stop to this or preventing from the ink actually turn to liquid and runny when it gets wet? Please help!
Grad Student
Shawn
Message 2 of 26 (6,942 Views)

Re: Ink washing away C5180

Get a can of cheap hair spray (really!!) Lightly spray over entire surface, let dry.

This was an old trick I use to use in art classes, pre computer when things were done by hand.

Master's Graduate
frprinterwiz
Message 3 of 26 (6,808 Views)

inkjet ink is water soluable, paper is hydrostatic so of course the ink is going to run when it gets wet.  Check the paper specifications for your printer and ink types and see if they are compatible with the new HP Tough Paper.  With this "paper", after the ink dries it is just like having it laminated and the occasional drop of water should not effect it at all.
insert signature here
Tutor
teka2u
Message 4 of 26 (6,775 Views)

Thanks to both or you. The hairspray sounds like a good idea and the next time I go into a store like Office Depot, I will inquire about if I can use the "strong paper" and where it is located at if my printer and ink cartridges can use it. Again thanks to both of you.
Master's Graduate
frprinterwiz
Message 5 of 26 (6,684 Views)

not strong paper - "Tough" paper.  There is a world of difference between the two!
insert signature here
Honor Student
Ellen
Message 6 of 26 (6,493 Views)

I'm having the same problem on my Photosmart C7280 all-in-one. About a year ago I switched from a Cannon all-in-one because of the smaller footprint in my office. I'm finding that any moisture on my hands makes the ink run, even on paper that was printed weeks before. It makes me hesitate to print anything other than drafts... not a good result. The Cannon ink did not have the same problem.

So, are there any inks besides the Vivera that work on this printer?

If faulty ink makes it necessary for me to buy more expensive paper, I will not be a happy camper. 

Ellen 

Tutor
teka2u
Message 7 of 26 (6,467 Views)

My thoughts exactly! I just found out the "tough paper" does not work. It printed fine, but as I was looking at the print quality the ink actually started running right before my eyes! I had went to the printing store and asked for the paper and they directed me to the paper that doesn't tear. Good idea for documents that I have to print out but worse for ink running. Maybe Ellen it will work on your printer for me, next is the cheap hair spray option. Maybe HP needs to read this post and give a recommendation of what to do to stop the running ink!
Honor Student
Ellen
Message 8 of 26 (6,442 Views)

So, what's the next step? I'm a writer and editor, so the hair spray idea is not viable for me... I print 10 pages and more of drafts many days. Is anyone from HP around to help us out with this problem? Ellen
Tutor
teka2u
Message 9 of 26 (6,431 Views)

Ellen, I DID finally contact HP support and received a reply. I mentioned to them that I have started this forum thread and the replies I have received. I mentioned about you with the same problem but different printer model. I will paste their reply on here but I'm not too sure it will work for you and I still have to adjust my settings, but you might give it a try before contacting HP. Maybe if a bunch of us did contact them they might change their ink, as I too use the Vivera ink as well. I understand from your e-mail that you are facing print quality issue while printing from your HP Photosmart C5180 All-in-One Printer. Before proceeding further with the information needed, I truly regret for any inconvenience this may have caused to you and at the same time, I greatly appreciate that you have forwarded us your concerns and that you have given us an opportunity to assist you in this regard. Let me assure you my complete attention and support. Please perform the steps given below and check if it improves the print quality. === Increase the print quality === 1. Click on 'Start'. 2. Click on 'Printers and faxes'. 3. Right click on the printers icon. 4. Click on 'Printing Preferences'. 5. Click on the tab 'Quality' and change the print quality to "Best". 6. Click on 'Apply' to save the settings then 'ok'. === Adjust ink volume === 1. Click on 'Start'. 2. Click on 'Printers and faxes'. 3. Right click on the printers icon. 4. Click on 'Printing Preferences'. 5. Click on the tab 'Basics'. 6. Click on 'Advanced features'. 7. Adjust Ink volume. Ink volume - adjusts the amount of ink printed on a page. For lighter images (less ink), drag the slider to the left. For darker images (more ink), drag the slider to the right. The lighter the ink volume, the faster the printout will dry. 8. Click on 'Apply' to save the settings then 'ok'. === Reduce Ink Flow and Reduce Ink Dry Time === 1. Double click on 'HP Solution Center' icon on the desktop. 2. Click on 'Settings'. 3. Click 'Print Settings'. 4. Click 'Printer Settings'. 5. Click on 'Basics' tab. 6. Click on 'Advanced features' button. 7. Drag the bar under 'Ink Volume' towards 'Light 8. Move the bar under 'Dry Time' towards 'More'. 9. Click 'OK' button. This will close the 'Advanced features' window. 10. Click on 'OK' button on the 'Printer Properties' window. You will be back to 'HP Solution Center' main screen. 11. Close 'HP Solution Center' and try printing.
Tutor
teka2u
Message 10 of 26 (6,349 Views)

Thanks for all the posts. I finally gave up on HP support, as I did receive numerous emails of different things to try all with no luck. From the one message on here of the different settings of drying times finally ending up with replace the Vivera ink cartridges. One email just before the last one from HP asked what paper I was using. After telling them what paper and brand (ink jet paper) they advised me to use photo paper. I had replied stating I doubt this will resolve the problem using photo paper for printing out documents and so forth, with the last email stating to change the ink cartridges. *This has been going on for a year of running ink, and I have replaced ink cartridges with same result*. So I'm telling everyone, be cautious when purchasing a new HP printer, especially if it uses Vivera Ink Cartridges have the sales agent do a print test and splatter a little bit of water or just wet your finger and touch the printed page. HP does not want to admit that the Vivera ink is faulty therefore having me do different ways of correcting this, and again repeating the same methods with no improvement to the printed page. So buyers BEWARE.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation