J4680 All In One - Loud Noise Before Printing (1890 Views)
Honor Student
RLH1
Message 1 of 8 (1,890 Views)

J4680 All In One - Loud Noise Before Printing

I have a J4680 All-in-One that suddenly started making a really loud noise right before printing, sounding almost like a machine gun going off in rat-a-tat-tat fashion. The problem started out of the blue, no jams, moving of the machine, etc. I did start getting an error message about the scanner on my computer around the same time this occured, something about the image device not being connected, but I don't know if this is related to this noise. It still prints fine, but the noise occurs right before printing and when I open/close the door. I called HP and was told something is likely broken, but can't get any more info without paying since the warranty ended 34 days ago! Any solutions/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Honor Student
LaurieAnne
Message 2 of 8 (1,822 Views)

Re: J4680 All In One - Loud Noise Before Printing

Funny that you have the same problem as we do with the same model printer. It has worked great until this morning, when it started making that same noise. The only message shown was regarding the tri-color cartridge. We did have to change the B&W cartridge a few days ago, but it has printed well since...that is, until this morning. It has not been moved around, overused, bumped, dropped, etc. I haven't been able to get any help with it thus far. The warranty ran out on 12-27-2010. Go figure, but to get any help now, means an extra dollar amt. If you get any help, could you post it so I may be able to fix this problem? I'll do the same. Thanks.

Honor Student
early2bed
Message 3 of 8 (1,697 Views)

[ Edited ]

Well I have an HP Photosmart (it ain't too smart tho) and that loud machine gun sound is heard just before printing or opening the ink door. It just started happening shortly after I had a jam. But since you have a different model computer than mind, I think there must be some sort of design problem that HP has installed in several of their printers (to save money of course). But unfortunately it's faulty. My printer is under a year old so still under warranty. But if you have received a solution, pls share it as I don't want to be without a printer for weeks for repairs. Thanks.

Honor Student
RLH1
Message 4 of 8 (1,691 Views)

I would suggest you get your printer replaced while it is still under warranty. Mine could not be repaired and I had to purchase another one since my problems began a few weeks after my warranty ended. Needless to say, I did not  purchase another HP product.

Honor Student
Butterfly350
Message 5 of 8 (1,540 Views)

I have the exact problem--it sounds like a machine gun noise which just started out of the blue.  My printer is a HP PSC 1610 and the rat-a-tat-tat noise starts when it prints or I open the printer.  

Help

Student
ronwindbigler
Message 6 of 8 (1,428 Views)

[ Edited ]

We are having the same problem tryed everything in the "tool Box" but still not working correctly

Student
hill5
Message 7 of 8 (1,044 Views)

Okay so it seems that I have purchased the same headache two years ago and sailing the same boat as everyone.  Just two days ago, my printer started making this noise.  What is the problem with HP about fixing their faulty product? The printer prints beautifully and no other problems have come to light.  How long will this product last?  Does anyone still have this model that can help?  Needless to say, I am very disappointed to learn about this problem and that there seems to be no solution thus far.

Student
cboxer
Message 8 of 8 (85 Views)

On startup the printer makes a loud "banging" noise for about 30 seconds,then it begin to works. Everything appears to be working, but it does sound as something is on the way out

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation