HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
04-18-2012 11:35 AM
Tried to upgrade the firmware of our Network printer, ran the LaserJet Easy Upgrade Utility, came back with the Smiley face. The printer never rebooted and now a message is displayed on the console. "Download file now, send RFU upgrade on USB DEV Port". and the printer is locked. Is there a special key stroke to reset, or how do we send the RFU on the USB port???
04-18-2012 10:08 PM
The process for USB FW upgrades for P4015x is supposed to be the same as some other products based on the same Firmware codebased.
The instructions at the following link may help you to install the FW image.
There may also be some information missing...so let me add a little bit more from my background.
- Power On the printer and wait for the resend upgrade message.
- Connect the printer to the PC via USB.
- Let windows install the port for the device. it should be a new generic USB printing port.
- Configure the driver to point to the new port.
- Share the driver
- Use the link above instructions on how to send the RFU file to the share, which should send it to the printer via the new USB port that gets created. If you don't have a command prompt available go to Start and click on the search box and type "cmd" without the quotes and hit enter. This should open an command window for you.
Another possibility that I remember we have used in the lab.
C:\ copy /b C:\FirmwareRFUFile.rfu USB001
FirmwareRFUFile.rfu is just an example name. You will have to find the RFU file for your printer.
This is the method that used to be used with LPT1 with parallel port printers. Turns out that it can also work with USB connected printers. Just make sure you use the port that was created when you connected the device via USB.
I am an HP Employee
Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution