LaserJet 4L paper feed jams. (3623 Views)
Student
Hike65
Message 1 of 12 (3,623 Views)

LaserJet 4L paper feed jams.

As the LaserJet 4L picks up the paper from the paper tray, it jams.  It has done this before and I have been able to fix it by  opening the drawer and  turning the wheel behind the black plastic rectangular thing on the far left and "messing" with the "rubberized" thing just to the right that seems to pick up the paper.

After attempting to fix it, the printer will usually print one page and then jam on the next page.

Love the printer, don't want to put it out to pasture.

Honor Student
hmesa
Message 2 of 12 (3,593 Views)

Re: LaserJet 4L paper feed jams.

Thank you for your question.

The HP Customer Care web site has information on possible causes and removal instructions for Jams for the LaserJet 4L.

I hope this link helps. 

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=...

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Student
cellarseller
Message 3 of 12 (2,115 Views)

I have a Laserjet 4L that exhibits the exact same problem.  I have purchased the more expensive HP branded paper and been careful about storage and curling the edges etc, but the problem as you described persists.  It seems to jam just after the paper is picked up from the tray and fed through the black roller on the left.  I am wondering if there is something defective with the toner cartridge?  I noticed when I remove the toner cartridge and attempt to turn the white gear on the cartridge that it is very difficult to turn.  I hate to invest in an expensive new cartridge if that is not the problem.  The reply below is a generic response and does not address this specific issue.  Has anyone found a solution?

Top Student
brewden1
Message 4 of 12 (1,925 Views)

The link had useful information for the uninitiated, but I have done everything listed there, and that did not solve it. I too hate to toss the printer--it's a real workhorse, but I can't see myself paying to have this thing fixed. Is there a part that can be replaced where it's jamming? I'm wondering if the "rubbery" thing may have lost its "gripability" over the years. I did take alcohol and Q-tips to clean off the wheel, etc.

Honor Student
cst4l
Message 5 of 12 (1,823 Views)

Mine was picking up the paper then jamming just as it passed the main feed wheel. Ussually the first page would print but then the second page would stop right as the paper started passing under the smoked plastic sheild on top.  Finally fixed it by taking things appart and cleaning the two solenoids that control the feed events. One solenoid controls the D wheel that pickups up the paper - you can see the little metal lever against the D wheel when the paper tray is removed - the other is hidden inside the main roller assembly. Both the solenoids used some type of bumper tape (to stop the metal to metal clicking) that has deteriorated and left a sticky adhesive behind. This sticking is what throws off the timing and causes the jam. This adhesive need to be cleaned off and the machine should run again as new. I've had my 4L for 20 years, and hated to throw it out, it otherwise still prints great and the toner can be had cheap. Just fixed mine and it once again running perfect. Now I'm interested to see just how long I can keep this workhorse going. kudos to the old HP.

I took a bunch of pictures of the disasembly process if anyone is interested. Tricky at first, but only took 5 minutes the second time. (I only found the one solenoid the first time and had to go back in for the second)

Top Student
brewden1
Message 6 of 12 (1,803 Views)

YES! YES! Videos please! Thanks!

Honor Student
cst4l
Message 7 of 12 (1,790 Views)

Ok, so I threw together a quick video for you or anyone who's having the same problem.

http://youtu.be/-LGf0aGQhmQ

Hopefully it will help you get the thing working again. By the way, since I did my repair I've printed a 500 page doc with absolutely no problems.

Now I'm interested to see how many more years the 4L will keep running.

Top Student
brewden1
Message 8 of 12 (1,756 Views)

I did my best. Now, it thinks it's out of toner and that wasn't an issue before. Hopefully, the fact that I have 3 screws left over has nothing to do with it...
Honor Student
cst4l
Message 9 of 12 (1,748 Views)

It must be sensing that there is no toner cartridge installed. I don't think these cartridges are chipped. They don't know when they run out, the printing just gets lighter and streakier as the toner runs low. You've probably already tried this, but I would take the cartridge in and out a couple of times and look for some sensor that isn't sensing that the cartridge is in place. Good luck
Top Student
brewden1
Message 10 of 12 (1,739 Views)

Yes, I did try that--but the only thing close to a sensor are 3 little metal prongs that seem to be on springs. They can be pushed down with your finger and pop back up.  They seem too coincide with little strips of metal on the cartridge itself, and my guess is when the cartridge is in, the 3 prongs are depressed.

I spent 5 hours on this last night, ruined my manicure, and it STILL doesn't work! (I was ready to go out in the cold and get a turtle cement mixer from Culver's!)

Anyway, I had a LOT of problems trying to get that board back in, particularly on the left side where the sensors are; the little black box was extremely difficult to get plugged back in. I'm wondering if I got everything hooked up or in contact correctly, and whether or not I may have damaged something in the process--especially since this wasn't a problem before.

Since I've already invested this much, I'm tempted to dismantle it again and try all over. The worst that can happen is I waste a few more hours...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation