Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

About a month ago my 5550 starting jamming. When I investigated I found that the image transfer kit had been damaged. I have now replaced that, the rollers, and the fuser (as well as the toners as they were low).

However, I still get the same error from the machine - 13.09.00 jam in top cover area.

And this is what I don't understand because the paper never makes it anywhere near there. It only gets as far as the bottom of the image transfer kit, where it gets either crumpled or torn up.

It's practically all new in there now - what's left to do? Any ideas?

I get the same problem whether I'm printing across the network or just trying a supply page from the unit itself.

Thanks much in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi sabrefreak,

The Jam Code 13.09.00 JAM IN TOP COVER ARE means that the the printer is detecting that media has crumpled into an accordion fold as it enters the fuser. 

In your comments you mentioned that the fuser has been replaced but you are still getting the error.

That leads me to think that the sensor or sensor flag may be damaged.

This is a photo of the top of the fuser when it has been removed from the printer:

HPIM0508.JPG

This is a photo of the bottom of the fuser.  The area circled in red is the sensor flag that is associated with the 13.09.00 Jam.  Make sure this flag can move freely.

HPIM0509.JPG

This next picture is to the left of the fuser flag in the photo above.  It is the portion that interacts with the sensor within the engine. Make sure that this has no damage.

HPIM0510.JPG

This last photo is within the left side of the print engine where the sensor flag above meets with the sensor.  The sensor is circled in red.  Make sure there is no damage to the sensor area.

HPIM0511.JPG

If everything passes visual inspection, you may have a problem with the sensor.  In which case I would recommend you contact HP support.  The sensor may need to be replaced.

I hope that this helps you.

Kazman
I am an HP Employee

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi sabrefreak,

The Jam Code 13.09.00 JAM IN TOP COVER ARE means that the the printer is detecting that media has crumpled into an accordion fold as it enters the fuser. 

In your comments you mentioned that the fuser has been replaced but you are still getting the error.

That leads me to think that the sensor or sensor flag may be damaged.

This is a photo of the top of the fuser when it has been removed from the printer:

HPIM0508.JPG

This is a photo of the bottom of the fuser.  The area circled in red is the sensor flag that is associated with the 13.09.00 Jam.  Make sure this flag can move freely.

HPIM0509.JPG

This next picture is to the left of the fuser flag in the photo above.  It is the portion that interacts with the sensor within the engine. Make sure that this has no damage.

HPIM0510.JPG

This last photo is within the left side of the print engine where the sensor flag above meets with the sensor.  The sensor is circled in red.  Make sure there is no damage to the sensor area.

HPIM0511.JPG

If everything passes visual inspection, you may have a problem with the sensor.  In which case I would recommend you contact HP support.  The sensor may need to be replaced.

I hope that this helps you.

Kazman
I am an HP Employee

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
HP Recommended

Hi,

those pictures helped a lot in troubleshooting the issue. Here is what I have figured out:

From your 3rd picture with the description (This next picture is to the left of the fuser flag in the photo above.  It is the portion that interacts with the sensor within the engine. Make sure that this has no damage) I found out theat the black piece that is gripping the small metal part is not there and is broken.

What is the solution for this? Kindly advise.

Thanks

HP Recommended

You have to replace the fuser.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.