Question

Honor Student
Fluter
Message 1 of 18 (69,773 Views)

Laserjet 1100 connection for Windows 7?

I have an old Laserjet 1100 printer.  How may I connect to my new laptop that uses Windows 7?  What cable and download do I need?  Thanks.

Fluter

Tutor
gumpitup
Message 2 of 18 (69,767 Views)

Re: Laserjet 1100 connection for Windows 7?

There is a driver included in Windows 7 for the Laserjet 1100. However, the 1100 only has a parallel port, no USB connection. Most new laptops no longer have parallel ports. You may be out of luck on the LJ1100 unless you can find some type of adapter. If you are lucky enough to find something, it is most likely going to be very difficult to setup and who knows how well it will work. You might be better off going with a new printer. Best of luck.
Honor Student
Fluter
Message 3 of 18 (69,761 Views)

Thank you Gumpitup.  I will search for a printer cable to make a connection to a USB port, then check to see if the 'old dinosaur' will work.  regards, Ron
Student
PaulF2010
Message 4 of 18 (69,505 Views)

The HP Laserjet 1100 will work with Windows 7. Today I hooked my old Laserjet 1100 up to a new Dell Win 7 PC.I used a Cables to Go USB to DB25 IEEE-1284 Printer Adapter to go from the PC's  USB port to the parallel printer cable to the Laserjet 1100. I first plugged the adapter into a USB port & let Win 7 find a driver for it. I then connected it to my printer cable. I could not print at first. I used Win 7 trouble shooting to analyse the problem. They provided a list of printers for me to ID the printer. The HP list initially did not have the 1100. Win 7 suggested I download some updates & the 1100 was on that list. Once I identified the 1100 Win 7 found the drivers & it is working .

The Cables to Go Adapter (16899) was purchased thru Amazon for $14.36

Honor Student
RxDdude
Message 5 of 18 (67,803 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hey,  Fluter,

Watch out - my LJ1100 doesn't have a DB-25 connector! It is a small IEEE 1284 standard plug. It has 36 pins, but it is much smaller than the DB-25; doesn't have individual, round pins, but has tiny flat contacts on a central insulator bar in the jack, like the old Amphenol connectors but miniaturized; and it attaches with quick-release clips kind of like the old Centrex connectors but even easier. The DB-25's strain relief is the familiar thumbscrew at each end of the rectangular plug, much like the attachment screws on your old parallel printer port and the old, SVGA, CRT monitors.

The IEEE 1284 standard defines the two-way communication protocol between the PC and the printer and it lets the printer tell the PC its status. Before the IEEE saw the need and put out this standard, printers typically couldn't report anything but READY or NOT READY, no info on what was wrong, and the PC-to-printer data speed was a lot slower. PaulF said his adapter cable worked, so he must have the IEEE 1284 also.

Be sure you get the size to match your LJ's submin jack. If you can't find a store with the part he used, I think Belkin is another mfr. that makes this kind of adapter cable. I picked up a Belkin model F5U002 several years ago with the full-size IEEE 1284 plug, but Belkin surely must have made one with the plug that HP uses, HP sold a gazillion of these. Tyco makes the connectors, but I don't know if Tyco makes the electronic adapter for this cable. The Belkin worked with an old inkjet  that is gone, now.

My LJ1100 just broke, the drive may have stripped a gear, it makes a buzzing sound and won't pull the paper through. If anybody has an idea on how to  get into the rear where the paper drive is, I would appreciate it. It is not accessible through the toner compartment in the front. Wish I had an IPB. I don't know where to unfasten the back of the box, or if it can be put back together without special tools. The only HP-certified printer shop in the yellow pages for a hundred miles around this smallish city just told me that they stopped fixing printers the first of the month unless you buy an annual contract for on-site service, and I am already stuck with the high cost of a replacement 92 toner cartridge that I put in it, 3 days before it stopped printing, so, I am stuck if I can't fix it myself.

Student
mimmo
Message 6 of 18 (66,116 Views)

hi, can you share (mail or other) the driver for hplj11000 and windows 7? i can't search it cause my computer with seven is behind a firewall, so I search it at home where I have not seven

p.s My seven is 64.bit thanks

Top Student
Brian_j_m
Message 7 of 18 (65,598 Views)

PaulF2010 wrote:

The HP Laserjet 1100 will work with Windows 7. Today I hooked my old Laserjet 1100 up to a new Dell Win 7 PC.I used a Cables to Go USB to DB25 IEEE-1284 Printer Adapter to go from the PC's  USB port to the parallel printer cable to the Laserjet 1100. I first plugged the adapter into a USB port & let Win 7 find a driver for it. I then connected it to my printer cable. I could not print at first. I used Win 7 trouble shooting to analyse the problem. They provided a list of printers for me to ID the printer. The HP list initially did not have the 1100. Win 7 suggested I download some updates & the 1100 was on that list. Once I identified the 1100 Win 7 found the drivers & it is working .

The Cables to Go Adapter (16899) was purchased thru Amazon for $14.36

Thanks PaulF2010, for helpful posting.  I'm in the UK, and was unable to get cable via Amazon, as apparently this item cannot be sent to UK !.    I got a similar one from Cables 2 U in the UK.  But it's not without problems.  Far too often I get the printer control panel lights indicating "Buffered data", ie the printer memory is retaining unprinted data.  When I press the Go button on the printer to print the remaining  data, I get mostly garbage.

I never had this problem with Windows XP.  Does anyone know the reason?

Honor Student
raitisb
Message 8 of 18 (61,665 Views)

In Windows7 (at least in beta) can uses Canon LBP 810 driver for LaserJet 1100 with paralel port and for me this works.

Student
Subaru2010
Message 9 of 18 (58,484 Views)

All you need to do is download the XP driver for this printer.

Extract it to the default folder  'c:\1100'

Add the printer as usual.  When prompted for a driver click 'have disk'  and select the 'c:\1100' folder.

Installation will continue successfuly .

Then......  go to printer properties click the 'advanced tab' and hit 'new driver'

When the prompt appears hit 'windows update'  . 

An updated list of printers appears in a few minutes.  Select HP 1100 and finish the install.

This work around can force Windoze 7 to find the correct driver eventually.....  :-)

Student
Midge1956
Message 10 of 18 (56,063 Views)

I have a new Gateway laptop with Windows 7 on it. I have solved my cabeling issues. However, I cannot seem to get the right drivers for my HP LaserJet 1100. The systems recognizes the printer but loads it as an HP LaserJet 1100 (MS). Is there a fix for this? Am I just overlooking something? Is there a different driver out there that is compatabile and will fix the problem?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation