Question

Tutor
DaveT007
Message 1 of 5 (2,807 Views)

Make my printer stop using color ink

HP Officejet 6500 wireless all in one - This thing uses up all the color ink when printing nothing but black and white documents. How do I make it stop???

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 5 (2,798 Views)

Re: Make my printer stop using color ink

Have you selected "Print in Grayscale" and "Use Black Cartridge only"?  If not the color cartridges will be used for grayscale graphics (and some text if the program sends the text as a graphic).

The "Use black cartridge only" setting is not available when printing in duplex mode or when printing on photo paper.

Even if printing in grayscale with the black cartridge only there will be some ink used for servicing the printheads as described here.  The Officejet 6500 is an IIC printer as described in the above link.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Student
Rusty01
Message 3 of 5 (2,779 Views)

My Officejet 6210 All-in-One started printing from the color cartridge even though I have it set to print black cartridge only or fast. Solution?

Tutor
DaveT007
Message 4 of 5 (2,766 Views)

Thanks Bob. I knew there had to be a way. Can I assume that the settings will stick, or do I have to go into the settings each time I print?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 5 of 5 (2,760 Views)

DaveT007 wrote:

Thanks Bob. I knew there had to be a way. Can I assume that the settings will stick, or do I have to go into the settings each time I print?

To have the settings "stick" they should be set from the Printers folder.  [This varies by operating system, for Windows 7 you would click Start, Devices and Printers, right click on the appropriate printer, Printer Properties and click on Preferences in the General tab.  This will set the preferences for the current user.  If you click on the Advanced tab and then select Printin Defaults it will set the defaults for all users.]  If you set the settings from an application they will generally be lost when you exit the application. 

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation