Question

Honor Student
Tigerterry
Message 1 of 9 (7,885 Views)

My 6510 e b211 shows message: "Photo tray problem - Re-insert or lower the photo tray."

This is a new printer.  It worked briefly.  Then began showing this message.  Will not print photos or any other document.  Connected wirelessly (which appears to be working) to Dell laptop running Vista. Have uninstalled and reinstalled software. Do not see how to " lower the photo tray".

Honor Student
Ronoki
Message 2 of 9 (7,846 Views)

Re: My 6510 e b211 shows message: "Photo tray problem - Re-insert or lower the photo tray.&quot

I am having the same problem. I found that if I put a full stack of paper in the machine it will print. However after it finishes each print job it will go back to the error message. Really annoying but at least I can print now. I just bought the computer last week and am thinking of taking it back but was hoping that there would be an update centering around this problem.

Honor Student
Tigerterry
Message 3 of 9 (7,839 Views)

Re: My 6510 e b211 shows message: "Photo tray problem - Re-insert or lower the photo tray.&

After a very lengthy time on the phone (mostly listening to elevator music) and conversations with a couple different techs it was decided the printer was faulty and should be replaced.  Caution!! - if you bought from HP on-line make sure they replace your broken printer with a new (not reconditioned -- read USED) printer. 

Honor Student
Ronoki
Message 4 of 9 (7,837 Views)

Re: My 6510 e b211 shows message: "Photo tray problem - Re-insert or lower the photo tray.&

If you get it replaced with the same 6510 model, let me know if you experience this problem again. I will try taking mine back as well. I am able to print but each time the print process is over I hear the machine give a spitting sound as it gives me the error message again about the photo tray needing to be reinserted or lowered. When I click ok it goes back to the menu and I am setup to print again, but it is annoying having to keep doing this.

Professor
007OHMSS
Message 5 of 9 (7,822 Views)

Re: My 6510 e b211 shows message: "Photo tray problem - Re-insert or lower the photo tray.&quot

This document may help:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02911715&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5058336&tmp...

This document may help just in case the problem is in loading the photo paper into the tray:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02910427&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5058336&tmp...

007OHMSS

I was a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.
Student
dnaquern
Message 6 of 9 (7,007 Views)

It may be a simple problem. If, when trying to print from the phototray, the tray moves forward a little then stops it is possible that the tray is being prevented from moving forward. In my case it was the poorly designed sliding plastic strip that pushes the paper into line towards the right.  Once that was realigned and the tray could move forward the problem was solved. Simple eH?, but I spent a long time living with it not working before I found this simple answer!!

Student
Sallydav57
Message 7 of 9 (5,937 Views)

Is the photo tray the same as the ink cartridge access door?  My Photosmart 6520 won't print now and I keep getting the message to lower the photo tray.  I've lowered the top and the access door and it still won't print.  Have re-booted the laptop and the printer and nothing.  I'm working on a Macbook Pro.  Don't know if that makes any difference.

Student
Limestone
Message 8 of 9 (5,062 Views)

Pull out your photo feed tray, in the right hand corner there is a grey plastic feed gear, if the gear is missing or has broken teeth the tray will not work. My tray has 2 broken gear teeth.

Remember everthing is designed to fail in a prescribed amount of time, usually after the warranty runs out. Its all part of the greater plan to keep you spending money.

Student
jayzdork
Message 9 of 9 (2,895 Views)

mine kept saying it and I had paper jammed in it Iifted it up and pulled it out the bottom working great now only 3rd time I used it just took it out the box.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation