Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Bob,

Thank you very, very much for your post!  My printer has been printing very slowly for about 3 weeks.  I tried everything (downloaded a new driver etc. etc.) but no luck.  I was about to go out and buy a new printer cord because that was the only thing that I thought could possibly still be wrong.  I dreaded it because if that didn't work I knew I would have to buy a new printer.  I did one last search on the internet and low and behold I found your comments.  I tried replacing my color cartridge (even though I don't recall ever getting a "low cartridge" message and I normally print in black and white) and now my printer works perfectly.  THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!  The budget is tight right now and this really helped!!!

Dad n' Sophie

HP Recommended

@DadnSophie2013 wrote:

Bob,

Thank you very, very much for your post!  My printer has been printing very slowly for about 3 weeks.  I tried everything (downloaded a new driver etc. etc.) but no luck.  I was about to go out and buy a new printer cord because that was the only thing that I thought could possibly still be wrong.  I dreaded it because if that didn't work I knew I would have to buy a new printer.  I did one last search on the internet and low and behold I found your comments.  I tried replacing my color cartridge (even though I don't recall ever getting a "low cartridge" message and I normally print in black and white) and now my printer works perfectly.  THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!  The budget is tight right now and this really helped!!!

Dad n' Sophie

I am glad I could help.  

Over a period of time a cartridge may fail electrically even if it still has ink left.

If the cartridge is an original HP (not a refill or third party cartridge) you can check the cartridge warranty as shown in this page.  The cartridge warranty is separate from the printer warranty, and may still be in effect even if the printer warranty has past.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi anyone from HP,

I have a huge problem with my Officejet 4255 all-in-on. I have recently bougth a new PC (AIO MSI) with Windows7 home edition, having connected my printer to the new PC. Since that moment my printer is printing very slow, with intervals between two swaths more than 30 seconds. It drives me crazy although I've tried everything ...reinstalled drivers, bougth new original cartridges, etc.

I don't know what else to do ... PC doesn't report any issues, conflicts or troubles ... everything is "all right", but, in reality it simply does not print.

I have to say that my printer was working well with the previous computer and Ultimate version of Windows 7. So, can anybody help, but please do not advise to replace a cartrigde because I already did it but that didn't  solve my problem.

Drazen

HP Recommended
I finally removed the cartidges and took a pencil eraser to the metal connectors inside my printers where the cartridges connect. Softly and carefully rub the eraser to clean the metal, even though it may not look dirty. HP might not like but it fixed my problem on 3 different printers. I went through 10 new HP brand cartridges before trying it. We use to do this to fix computer connection issues when I worked for a computer manufacturer and it helps clean the connections.
HP Recommended

Is there a way to dump the memory on an Officejet 5610 All in One ? I never had a printer print so slow. I tried everything everyone is talking about and still printing slow. I have worked on few printers in the past and dumped the memory and they worked fine. I just have this problem with Hp. Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

@HayabusaKing wrote:

Is there a way to dump the memory on an Officejet 5610 All in One ? I never had a printer print so slow. I tried everything everyone is talking about and still printing slow. I have worked on few printers in the past and dumped the memory and they worked fine. I just have this problem with Hp. Thanks in advance.

The document here may help resolve slow printing on the Officejet 5610.

If the printer makes a sweep of the printhead and then stops for 10-50 seconds before the next sweep it is likely that one of the print cartridges has failed.  I do not know if the Officejet 5610 will support ink backup mode, but try the following:  remove the color cartridge and print a test page from the computer.  Does the printer print at normal speed?  If so the color cartridge is at fault and should be replaced.  If the printer is still slow the replace the color cartridge and remove the black cartridge.  Now print a test page.  If this page prints at nearly normal speed (will be a bit slow) the black cartridge is at fault and should be replaced.

You can erase the memory by simply turning the printer off and then back on, this is unlikely to have any effect on printing speed.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Another suggestion to try (if you're only printing B/W documents) is to check whether your printer is set to "print in grayscale".

I was having the same problem of long pauses between swaths with B/W documents on my F2210.  I tried the cartridge-swapping/reserve mode suggestions, and the printer printed at normal speed with each cartridge individually.  But when I tried to test the color cartridge by printing something with a lot of color, and it came out in black & white, I knew there was a problem.  Turned out my printer was set to "print in grayscale (high quality)".  (This is something I do occasionally when printing pages with a lot of color, if I don't *need* the color, such as web coupons.  But it usually resets itself.)

After I changed it back to "print in color", everything worked beautifully.

HP Recommended

I have an HP Deskjet F4180 that has the same problem. Printing is really slow, one swath every now and then. Followed the recommendation to change the print cartridges. The test sheet printed out normally but when I connect my Apple MacBook Pro (Mac OS 10.2.8) and try to print from MS word it is still slow. Ergo waisted some good ink cartridge but still cannot print. Tried printing from other Apple computer as well, same problem. Could it be a problem with the driver for Max OS X 10.8.2

HP Recommended
Printing the test page directly from the printer utility also is really slow so it can't be a driver problem, right ?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.