Question

Honor Student
gerihs
Message 1 of 5 (6,029 Views)
Accepted Solution

My computer says my printer is offline. I can't get Officejet 4500 back online.

I printed 1 of 2 pages this afternoon, but was then told my printer was offline.  All attempts to take it back online have failed, including turning off and on, disconnecting and reconnecting all wires.  Please help.

Tutor
findcraig
Message 2 of 5 (6,010 Views)

Re: My computer says my printer is offline. I can't get Officejet 4500 back online.

uninstall the printer and reinstall worked for me time and time again

Honor Student
gerihs
Message 3 of 5 (6,007 Views)

Re: My computer says my printer is offline. I can't get Officejet 4500 back online.

Thank you findcraig.  It worked!

Student
flakey
Message 4 of 5 (5,872 Views)

THe laptop says my printer all in one is offline How can I get it back on. It just printed 25 pages like that and everything was fine,

what can I do:

Karen

Top Student
Kay576
Message 5 of 5 (445 Views)

Re: My computer says my printer is offline - check your router

I have a solution that is better than the one suggested to you:  how old is your router???  My router was 2 years old but too old - it caused all the offline and freezing problems for my officejet.  A new router solved my problems instantly.  I purchased a netgear nighthawk, but probably any new router will help you if that is the problem.  Be aware that the industry is changing from "N" to "AC" so if you get one that is AC compatible, you won't have to purchase a new router in the coming years.  AC just started in 2013, but is not industry standard  - yet.

If you don't have money for a new router, you can also call HP and try to get the sleep mode disabled.  THis works for older printers but not their newer ones (you have to do the sleep mode, and I guess eat your peas and go to bed early too).  

Call HP if your printer is new - within 1 year of purchase.  The helpline is awesome, the forums less so.  The helpline solved the mystery of my printer's offline issues.

Good luck to all.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation