My printer is connected to my computer, but my computer does not recognize it as connected. (79050 Views)
Honor Student
paulmac49
Message 11 of 92 (9,524 Views)

Re: My printer is connected to my computer, but my computer does not recognize it as connected.

I have the same problem, i have re-installed 11 times, tried 2 USB cables and still says not connected.

What else can i do

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 12 of 92 (9,301 Views)

Re: My printer is connected to my computer, but my computer does not recognize it as connected.

@pgables - In regards to the printer not installing on the Mac, you may want to reset your printing system which will completely remove all printers and then attempt to reinstall it again.

@paulmac49 - what model of printer do you have and what is the operating system of the computer you are trying to install it on?  I'm happy to help!

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Honor Student
paulmac49
Message 13 of 92 (9,294 Views)

[ Edited ]

My OS is Windows 7. My printer is HP officejet 4500 desktop. I have used all the diagnostic tools you have on download.

Still does not connect 

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 14 of 92 (9,292 Views)

If you go to All Programs>>HP>>Officejet 4500 folder, do you see "Printer Setup and Software" or "Add a Printer" here?  Be sure to temporarily disable all firewall and anti-virus software on the computer before trying this.  If that doesn't work, check out this document as it covers a lot of steps you may not have tried yet.

--USB Device Setup Failed to Complete--

I hope this helps!

Honor Student
jonesy63
Message 15 of 92 (9,060 Views)

My printer is connected to my computer but it stopped recognizing to print or will not print when prompted

Honor Student
jonesy63
Message 16 of 92 (9,058 Views)

I have a LaserJetPro printer

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 17 of 92 (9,008 Views)

Hello jonesy63!

Welcome to the forums.  I will gladly try to help you as well but I do need quite a bit more information.  LaserJets have a very broad range of model-types, so if you could provide information about which model you have, it would be most useful.

Also, to assist you better I need to know a few more things:

1.  What model printer is it?

2.  How it is connected to the computer (USB, wireless, or Ethernet)?

3.  What kind of computer you have and be specific (ex. Windows 7 64-bit, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows XP, Mac Version OS.....)?

4.  Any specific error messages?

Answer those questions for me please so I can provide some step-by-step instructions for you as well.

Honor Student
elvi
Message 18 of 92 (8,950 Views)

I have unplugged both computer and printer several times but I keep getting the same message that Windows does not recognize printer (win XP) Why has this suddenly become a problem. Do I need new printer or new USB cable?

Thank you Elvi Vetland.

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 19 of 92 (8,921 Views)

Hello Elvi!

To answer your question directly, a new printer will not help you with a USB connection to your computer.  It is definitely cheaper to buy a new USB cord than it is to buy a new printer.  You can also try different ports on the computer if you haven't tried that yet.  What is the exact model of printer you have and what is the operating system of the PC you are using and maybe I can be of a bit more assistance.

Honor Student
elvi
Message 20 of 92 (8,899 Views)

Thanks for prompt reply. I will reconnect cord to another USB port or buy another USB cable--whatever works. My printer is HP Photosmart C4280 all-in-one connected to windows XP.

any suggestions w/b helpful.! Elvi Vetland.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation