Question
My printer is connected to my computer, but my computer does not recognize it as connected.
Replies (91)

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 21 of 92 (1,961 Views)

Re: My printer is connected to my computer, but my computer does not recognize it as connected.

Let me know what happens because XP has had problems in the past with getting USB connections confused in the Device Manager.  I will gladly walk you through those rather technical steps so that you can get the printer and the computer communicating again.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Student
lisha
Message 22 of 92 (1,937 Views)

Re: My printer is connected to my computer, but my computer does not recognize it as connected.

Having the same problem. unpluged both re-set, etc. tried new cord. Tried it with my mac and with my PC I haven't done any updates on either machines. We have had storms in the area. wouldn't that cause it not to come on at all. Would that not have harmed the PC that is pllugged in?  Many questions no answers.

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 23 of 92 (1,924 Views)

Yes, lightning can even come up a fax line/phone line and brick a printer but the odds of it going through it into your computer are rare.  Are you referring to a computer that will not come on?  I assume you mean you plug in the printer with a USB cord and the computer does not recognize it.  

Does the printer turn on?  What model printer is it? What is the operating system of the computer you are having problems with?  Answer those questions please and I will be happy to help you.

Student
ipot
Message 24 of 92 (1,908 Views)

Checked all connections, all ok.computer tells me to connect to printer.What gives!!! ? Printer HPLaserJet

P1102w

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 25 of 92 (1,892 Views)

I can see a lot of you are affected by this. I will do my best to provide everything you need to do (and it is all in one document I have already provided).  I want to pin-point the obvious: confirm it is not the USB cord.  Try it on another printer, make sure the USB cord is going in the printer far enough, try different ports on the PC and if you never hear the USB-connected "ding" you may save yourself a lot of time getting a new printer cord. They are getting harder to find, so make sure if you have to purchase one, that it is no more than 3 meters long. I also recommend that you check with the store about their return policy in case you don't need it.

This document covers every Windows Operating System and every step I would type out here.  Read it thoroughly.

--Windows: 'Device Setup Failed to Complete' or 'Unknown Device' Message Displays on the Computer Duri...--

I hope you find the above link useful.  Let me know if you need any assistance or clarification.  If so, please verify which steps you have tried, the specific model of printer and your computer's operating system and I will be happy to help.

Student
Dyoneda49
Message 26 of 92 (1,873 Views)

My computer is not recognizing my printer
Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 27 of 92 (1,868 Views)

@Dyoneda49 - Please review the previous posts and if that does not help you with your USB connection, then answer a few questions for me:

1.  What kind of printer do you have?

2.  How is it connected to the computer (I assume USB but you didn't specify)?

3.  What is the operating system of the computer you are having problems with?

The more information you can offer to describe the problem you are having, the better a response you will get.  Most of the information you need has already been provided.  Let me know what troubleshooting steps you have done and please review this post:

"Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions"

Student
schluter1
Message 28 of 92 (1,796 Views)

My computere/printer worked fine untill all of a suden.  Now the computer says my says my printer is off line.  It is designated as the default printer

Student
neisha
Message 29 of 92 (1,710 Views)

My printer status report states that my network status is Offline  and my Admin Password in not set.  How do I get this done.  My printer is a hp photosmart 6520.

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 30 of 92 (1,688 Views)

If you want to get the printer connected to the wireless router again, go into the wireless menu on the front panel of the printer and use the Wireless Setup Wizard to reconnect it.  You may benefit from setting a static IP for the printer as well (to avoid losing your wireless connection again).  Let me know if I can be of any more assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation