Question
My printer is connected to my computer, but my computer does not recognize it as connected.
Replies (91)

Honor Student
hettiemaas
Message 41 of 92 (689 Views)

Re: My printer is connected to my computer, but my computer does not recognize it as connected.

My printer is connected to my computer (Windows 8), but does not recognise the printer

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 42 of 92 (679 Views)

Re: My printer is connected to my computer, but my computer does not recognize it as connected.

When you say that on your Windows 8 computer, the printer is not recognized, are you trying to install the printer with a USB cord?  

How is it connected?  

What kind of printer do you have?

Please be a bit more specific about your problem so I can help you.  I will provide a link to some basic information while I await your response.

--Installing the Printer Software in Windows 8 for a USB Cable Connection--

Papaeck has made a great suggestion for you.  To add to that, first try a different port on the printer or try a different printer cord.

I hope that helps!

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Honor Student
kaybaby
Message 43 of 92 (656 Views)

Same problem here.  I was having trouble scanning.  I thought it would be best to uninstall and reinstall.  Now, I can't get my computer to recognize the USB cable.  I am using the following.

Windows XP

USB

HP Photosmart C410a

I've tried multiple ports.  I've just removed HP again.  I would love some help.

Kay

Top Student
papaeck
Message 44 of 92 (644 Views)

Turn off Computor and turn back on and switch port
Honor Student
kaybaby
Message 45 of 92 (636 Views)

I have turned off my computer and changed ports, multiple times.  Doesn't work.

Kay

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 46 of 92 (628 Views)

I understand you are having problems with your USB "device" in XP. This is likely caused by an error in your Device Manager.  I couldn't explain it any better than what is outlined in this document:

--Troubleshooting Device Conflicts with Device Manager--

However, if you have any questions about any of the steps outlined in this link, let me know.  The answer may be in the second link I have provided below.

--Advanced troubleshooting tips for general USB problems in Windows XP--

I hope this helps!

Top Student
white531
Message 47 of 92 (582 Views)

I have the same problem.  I am trying to connect an HP8550 laser printer to a Mac G5 desktop.  The recommended method is to use the JetDirect ethernet connection.  Right now, the printer is connected by ethernet cord directly to the Mac's ethernet connection.  The computer doesn't see the printer.  I downloaded the proper driver and installed the printer on the Mac just as you would any other printer, and it shows up in my printer list like it should.

I suspected it might be a problem with the IP address, so on someone else's recommendation, I reconfigured the printer's IP address to match the computer.  No change.  At this point, I don't know what to do.

Student
lol123
Message 48 of 92 (543 Views)

wont print emails or receipts for items paid

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 49 of 92 (526 Views)

Are you able to print anything?

Honor Student
cktaylor3341
Message 50 of 92 (446 Views)

can you help connect my hp3510 all in oneseries printer?

kgreen20 wrote:

This is a problem that has developed very recently.  My computer does not recognize my HP printer as connected, even though it is--I checked.  Both the electric cord plugging the printer into the electrical outlet and the USB cord connecting the printer to the computer are plugged in where they're supposed to be, yet the Solution Center claims that I'm disconnected.  Is there a way to resolve this problem?  I cannot find the solution.  I've tried unplugging both cords and plugging them back in, and I've tried powercycling the computer itself, but neither has worked.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation