Question
My printer is connected to my computer, but my computer does not recognize it as connected.
Replies (91)

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 51 of 92 (491 Views)

Re: My printer is connected to my computer, but my computer does not recognize it as connected.

How are you trying to connect it (USB or wireless)?  First, I suggest going to www.hp.com/support and selecting the Drivers and Downloads tab and choose the correct operating system for your PC unless you have the software disk that came with the printer.  Wait for the installation to prompt you to plug in the USB cord and then follow the process to finish the installation.

If that doesn't help, I will also need to know what operating system you are trying to install the printer on and I will be more than happy to help.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Student
shawna92
Message 52 of 92 (441 Views)

Re: My printer is connected to my computer, but my computer does not recognize it as connected.

My computor does not recognize my printer. Everything is pluded in right but when I go to print I get printer not responding

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 53 of 92 (434 Views)

In order to assist you, please answer the questions from my previous post - a) operating system b) connection type (USB, Ethernet, wireless), and c) the model of the printer.

Student
744Mf
Message 54 of 92 (399 Views)

i have gone wireless with my computer but it is not recognizing my hp photosmart 6100 series printer.

Honor Student
cktaylor3341
Message 55 of 92 (391 Views)

I have a HP 2009 computer and a 3511 desk jet printer. I have been online with tech support for four different days usually all day and can't connect printer. Never had this problem before. It will say can't connect because of hard drive
Used the CD that came with printer to conne ct . Still want work. Called Verizon they upgraded my Verizon, still don't work. What do you think it is?
Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 56 of 92 (379 Views)

It could be a setting or malfunction in the router if you have been in contact with HP support and they still cannot help you. Another possible cause could be firewall but it is unlikely. Did they have you set a static IP on the printer?  Can you get it to connect at all or is it during the wireless installation that it quits working (and never connects)?

Student
Jlouimare09
Message 57 of 92 (347 Views)

hey

Honor Student
wonderbaby
Message 58 of 92 (322 Views)

How do I get the computer and printer to recognize each other again.? Happened a month ago.  Suspect it has something to do with updates. 

Top Student
c_robertson
Message 59 of 92 (308 Views)

First go to your control panel and click on Devices and Printers (depending on your os) Hover over the icon for your printer and see if it shows it online or offline. If it shows it online here, then your printer is working, but an antivirus or firewall is blocking the process.

If it shows as offline, you have a plug, or usb or wireless issue (for wireless printers that is)

If it doesn't show at all then you haven't installed the software. Go to the manufacturers site for that.

If your printer WAS working and now is not, then look at whatever program you recently installed

If your pirnter hasn't worked and you recently installed it, unplug it, delete the printer, restart, install the program THEN plug the printer in. If you plug the printer in first, sometimes it will install a generic printer driver for you.

Honor Student
juneallan21
Message 60 of 92 (300 Views)

I am having the same problem .It works well but I have had aproblem- can't scan , and printer is stopping in middle of colour photos saying- filter failed? what does that mean. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation