Question

Student
Dorris
Message 1 of 3 (4,176 Views)

New ink cartridge won't print

I just replaced my black ink cartridge but my printer won't print black (prints color fine).  I just read that I shouldn't leave the cartridge out of the printer for an extended period, but the old cartridge was out of the printer for about a week.  Can the print carriage get clogged with dried ink, and if so, how do you fix it?  If not what else would cause the new cartridge not to work?  It doesn't print at all.

HP Officejet 6500 Wireless

Ink cartridge: HP Officejet 920

Student
Johnarr
Message 2 of 3 (2,316 Views)

Re: New ink cartridge won't print

No. 60 color cartridge ran out in HP Photosmart C4680. When replaced with a new one, the printer skipped part of the allignment process and the new cartridge would not print any color but red. I tried a second new color cartridge with the same negative results. Nothing I do fixes the problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I would simply buy a new printer, but I have 3 new No. 60 cartridges and can't find a new HP printer that uses a 60. Can a 60 be used as a substitute for a 61?

Johnarr 

Associate Professor
Arkle1
Message 3 of 3 (2,310 Views)

Re: New ink cartridge won't print

Hi there, take a look at the troubleshooting suggestions for print quality problems on your product at this link http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01675472&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=ie&dlc=en&lc...

Towards the end of the list there are instructions for printing a diagnostic page, cleaning and aligning the cartridge.

To answer your other question, the No. 60 cartridge cannot be used as a substitute for No. 61, it will be rejected by a printer that takes No.61 supplies. HP no longer sells printers that take the No.60 supplies although you may find a model that does by searching online (e.g. eBay). Here is a handy link to a website where you can check what supplies go into what printer, just enter the printer model name and all compatible supplies will be listed  https://h30042.www3.hp.com/SureSupply/?AppName=WWP&loc=us&lang=en&searchPrinters=C4680#3

Hope this information is of use to you, best of luck.

If my reply helped you, feel free to click on the Kudos button on the left (hover over the "thumbs up").
If my reply solved your problem please click on the Accepted Solution button so other Forum users may benefit from viewing the post.

I am an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation