No Ink level check with Windows 7 (53120 Views)
Honor Student
MalcolmEckert
Message 1 of 28 (53,120 Views)
Accepted Solution

No Ink level check with Windows 7

Hello.

Is there a way to check ink levels of my HP Officejet K7100 in Windows 7?

It was fine when I used Vista, but since getting a Windows 7(64 bit) operating system I do not have the facility.

The printer works OK with the new computer - just no ink level check. The new drivers came from within Windows 7 and there does not seem to be the facility to download any others direct from HP.

Thanks

PhD Student
CaptainTJ
Message 2 of 28 (53,114 Views)

Re: No Ink level check with Windows 7

Hi,

You can print a diagnostic page from your printer.  It gives ink level information on it.

This document is about missing colors, but step 1, 2, and 3 indicate how to print the diagnostic page and determine the ink levels.

Missing Colors - check ink levels

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you. Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
MalcolmEckert
Message 3 of 28 (53,097 Views)

Hi Captain

Thanks for the help. I was able to confirm my ink levels by the method you suggested.

However, is there any way of viewing my ink levels "On Screen" as I previously used to?

Malcolm

PhD Student
CaptainTJ
Message 4 of 28 (53,087 Views)

Hi Malcom,

Unfortunately, there is only the driver that is inside of Windows 7 for the HP Officejet K7100 and the "in operating system" driver doesn't contain the capability for ink level checking.

I've attached a link to a document from the product support page that indicates the loss in functionality such as ink level checking.  It is down in step 4 (mistakenly labeled step 3 in the document as there is a step 3 above this step) labeled "Learn about the changes you can expect with the in-OS driver".

Getting started in Windows 7

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you. Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
yairah
Message 5 of 28 (51,116 Views)

Re: No Ink level check with Windows 7[ New ]

Hmmmm, don't know that I agree 100% with this being termed "Solved!" --  tho I do appreciate the effort!

I'm sure I've lost something in the translation of "Step 3/which is 4, etc." but like Malcolm, I'm really missing that handy-dandy on-board, instant no-printing-required ink level check!

When I clicked on your link, -- & again, I thank you for stepping up!!! -- the "solution" it took me to was just the instruction to "print out a self-test page."

It assured me that info about ink levels would be included there, but I couldn't find it.

What I was looking for (truly hoping to find ....) was some way to restore that glorious functionality that was always available in the Print Properties dialogue box, on a tab wa-a-ay over to the right, aptly titled (>snicker<) "Services."

On that tab was a button that, when clicked, revealed a graphic of the installed ink cartridges  ... the "ink level" updated right before your very eyes! -- no Flash, no digitized readouts, just a surprisingly accurate way to "eyeball" the state of your cartridges.

Too hokey, huh? Too simple? Too reliable & customer-centric a feature to bother with preserving?.

Again I 'm sure I must not be reading the self-test sheet correctly and would welcome being clued in.

But I can't help but mourn the loss of yet another perfectly simple, customer-focused feature to stuff that is "NEWER-BETTER-BIGGER-FLASHIER-MORE-ZEN-SATIONALISTICALLY!"

Except it seldom ever is.

Oh well. Thanks anyway.

Student
upset13
Message 6 of 28 (51,001 Views)

Determining Ink Levels in PSC1501xi  All-In-One.  And Windows 7  ;-)  

Have spent an hour looking for  printer "toolbox"  Guess HP and Windows 7 took it away.  

Computer used to tell me when I was out of ink...  

And now the printer trouble-shooter detects NO HP products and "will close now." 

None of the "work arounds" in forum work.  Will just keep spare cartridges on hand and replace when print fades out!

Honor Student
Keith_UK
Message 7 of 28 (49,601 Views)

I just find this as HP fault not bothering to program it into windows 7.

All they have to do is tweak the windows XP software to work on 32-bit/64-bit windows 7.

Then we would have a windows 7 toolbox!

Compatibility modes don't work either for the old software on my windows 7 64-bit.

Even though I am a network engineer unfortunately I cant  tweak the software myself as is not my expertise but I know it can be done.

Yes HP being lazy not giving up to date drivers and features.

Intended so you buy a new printer which has a screen showing you the ink levels.

Sorry HP but that's not going to happen until my printer breaks!

I have a HP deskjet 930c printer and had it for many years and it still prints great quality!

Honor Student
MalcolmEckert
Message 8 of 28 (49,566 Views)

Thanks for that.

I agree completely and hope that HP will soon get their act together and give us  some "Customer Service" - OR IS THAT TOO MUCH TO EXPECT?

Intern
sktn77a
Message 9 of 28 (46,870 Views)

Don't hold your breath.  Like everything else, the almighty dollar is driving lack of support (be it by telephone, online or software).

Sigh!

Honor Student
jbpcdm
Message 10 of 28 (46,446 Views)

Can't find a power button.  Tried the on button, but that just turned the printer off.  So, I tried holding the on button  down when it was off and then the cancel button, releasing them both at the same time and got nothing.  I have an HP Officejet 5610 All-in-One.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation