Question

Top Student
jivebunny123
Message 1 of 16 (2,513 Views)

Noise problem with HP Photosmart C4480

[ Edited ]

I purchased this all-in-one in November of last year - now out of warranty and guess what? It has developed a fault in that it makes a noise like a loud machine gun burst before it starts printing. Print quality is still fine. On line technician in a far off place(i think) wasn't much help. Can this be cured?

Teacher
CyclingFool
Message 2 of 16 (2,505 Views)

Re: Noise problem with HP Photosmart C4480

I'm guessing a gear is skipping.  Is this only during startup?  When does it happen?  More than likely, it is unrecoverable, sad to say.  Let me know when it happens, and I'll do my best to give you an idea of what you can do, if anything.

While I do work for HP, anything I say is from me and me alone, and does not reflect the views, opinions, strategies, or favorite ice cream of HP in any way, shape or form.
Top Student
jivebunny123
Message 3 of 16 (2,495 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Thanks for prompt reply. The harsh noise in question occurs when I instruct the printer to print. It also occurs before copying feature starts.

Student
sweetsthecat
Message 4 of 16 (2,232 Views)

Well it looks like there was no reply after jivebunny's addtl info was supplied on 12/8/2009?  This morning I started having the EXACT same problem, same model CC4480 All In One printer.  As soon as print  order is sent to the printer the machine gun noise begins, lasts @ 5 seconds, then it prints and all is fine, but if I have more than 1 sheet of paper in the printer it wants to grab them all at the same time, if not when it begins to print, when it is done at the end of printing. I've taken off the back door and looked around as best I could thru both front and back and can't see any problem. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!  I like this printer alot but cant live with that noice - it is SUPER LOUD!

Top Student
jivebunny123
Message 5 of 16 (2,211 Views)

Well it eventually got worse and then one day the printer ground to a halt and nothing I did enabled it to start again.

So I gave it up as a bad job, sold the surplus cartridges I had on hand to my secretary and bought a new printer from HP - Deskjet F2280 which so far has performed ok. The one annoying feature was having to buy different cartridges - apparently there was no current HP model that used the same cartridges as the C4480!

Honor Student
VoodooDoll
Message 6 of 16 (2,054 Views)

I got the same problem ---after clearing a paper jam.  The loud noise starts when I turn the machine on and when I start a print job. After the loud noise,  the machine goes on and prints.  Looks like I'll get a new printer because servicing the machine will cost more than a new printer!

Top Student
Larrycza
Message 7 of 16 (1,132 Views)

My C4480 also makes this noise, only it stops and won't do anything after.  I looked inside and saw that when you open the ink cartridge door the carriage goes from the left to the right, then the rubber wipers, which are all the way back, just shake with the maching-gun noise.  Then the thing stops and the ON light flashes.  If i push the ink carriage all the way back to the left then pull the rubber wiper carriage all the way forward, then plug it back in (or turn it ON) then the ink carriage goes all the way right, the rubber wipers go back, forward, then back again, whereupon the maching gun noise commences and the rubber wiper carriage shakes with the noise.  Then stop and nothing else.  But the rubber wiper carriage DOES move back and forth at least once, it just gets in a place where something is wrong and it tries to strip a gear for whatever reason.  I can't see any reason for this.  Is there a flag or a stop or a lever or something that is cockeyed in there and not being tripped????

Tutor
Wildviolets
Message 8 of 16 (1,126 Views)

mine made the same noise and now it is apparently "dead". The paper sticks after coming about 4 inches out, but no printing at all....such a mess....and I just bought new print cartridges and the $$'s keep adding up....doomed.

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 9 of 16 (1,117 Views)

Hello Wildviolets

If the printer was having noise and now won't work at all then it sounds like the printer may have had a hardware problem. As for the ink if they are Genuine HP ink and you just purchased them they should still be in warranty. If you purchase a new HP printer that doesn't use those cartridges, you should be able to call HP they should be able to replace any unopened ink cartridges that are in warranty for other HP ink cartridges that will work with your new printer.

Hello Larrycza

It does sound good for the printer. Have you tried running the HP Hardware Diagnostic Utility? It may be able to determine which component or problem is occurring.

Using the HP Hardware Diagnostic Utility

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
Tutor
Wildviolets
Message 10 of 16 (1,113 Views)

Thank you for your reply. Yeah, I think my printer is dead. Unfortunately, I have opened my ink, that was my first problem. I had ran out...replaced it to find a dead printer....guess it's time to buy a new one....hope I can find one that uses the same ink, that would be helpful as it is so expensive...thanks you again...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation