Question

Top Student
bsaframing
Message 1 of 7 (1,023 Views)
Accepted Solution

Office Projet 8500A - legal size documents

When sending legal documents to the printer or even copying legal documents on the printer we must always choose legal size.  Isnt there a way that the printer will choose the correct size based on the scan it takes of the document prior to printing the copy?  Also if printing legal and we have chosen legal paper if the legal tray runs out of paper the printer automatically will continue copying but from the letter tray rather than stop printing copies and let us refill the legal tray.

Associate Professor
stix4
Message 2 of 7 (1,014 Views)

Re: Office Projet 8500A - legal size documents

Hello,

Unfortunately not, the printer will not choose the paper size based on the scan size.  Yes, you are correct, the printer will pull automatically from tray 1 when tray 2 is depleted.  I might suggest loading both trays with legal size when printing/scanning large runs of legal size docs.  

I've attached a link below that may better explain.....

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02643036&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4083971&tmp...

(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

I worked for HP but my posts and replies are my own....Thank you!

*Say thanks by clicking the *Kudos!* which is on the left*

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with (Accept as Solution) if it solves your issue.*

Top Student
bsaframing
Message 3 of 7 (1,012 Views)

So there is no way to unselect auto tray select so no tray is the default tray and the printer will select the correct tray based on what size is on the copier?  It appears that we must select our default tray and that would be the tray it always pulls from then to choose the opposite tray whether it is filled with paper of a different size or evelopes or whatever else we must go through the paper tray selection process to select the non default tray for that task we are working on?

Honor Student
jhdjudy
Message 4 of 7 (681 Views)

The printer won't copy legal size documents any more. When I put a legal document on the flatbed with legal paper in the tray, it only prints part of the original document.  It cuts off the remaining part like it was only letter size paper instead of legal paper.  This is very frustrating!  

This is a new problem and may relate to my new computer.   I recently got an HP computer with widows 8.  I have installed the updated driver.

Can you help please,

Judy

Associate Professor
stix4
Message 5 of 7 (651 Views)

Hi Jhdjudy,

Thanks for the post.  In checking on this one, have any of the printer settings been changed?  Say fo instance, if you choose copy on the front panel, from there to settings, make sure actual size is still selected, if you slide down from that menu, you will also see margin shift, select off if not already, you can also choose copy preview here to see if your original Legal document is being cropped prior to the copy being performed.  Check these and let me know the results....Good Luck!

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with (Accept as Solution) if it solves your issue.*

Honor Student
jhdjudy
Message 6 of 7 (632 Views)

Thank you.  I had tried everything you said except was unaware of the down button which led me to paper size and when I select "legal" it worked.  Still don't know why it suddenly stopped working, but now I can make it work this way.

Associate Professor
stix4
Message 7 of 7 (626 Views)

Hello again Jhdjudy,

Thanks for the reply.  Glad to hear that you able to find that setting change and are able to have full functionality again.  Side note, HP also has a presence on YOUTUBE.com, see the link below.  New product and informational video's are being uploaded daily for our customers. 

Best regards,

Stix

Youtube.com/hpprintersupport

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation