OfficeJet 6110 does not print text (12108 Views)
Honor Student
Elisa98
Message 1 of 8 (12,108 Views)

OfficeJet 6110 does not print text

My Officejet 6110 has lost the ability to print the text in Word documents, txt files, portions of some PDFs, and a variety of other applications (for example, AcrossLite, my husband's crossword-puzzle printing program).  The printer can print pictures, most/all of the text on webpages and mht files, and some PDFs/portions of PDFs.  I have tried reinstalling the driver, disabling and reinstalling from the Device Manager, and switching the cable from one USB port to another (the latter actually seemed to help...I got a few lines of text in a test printout, but perhaps this was just coincidence.)

I'm running Windows XP Pro on a Dell Inspiron E1705.

It's as if the printer is not receiving or processing any information on text at all: If the page is entirely text, as in a txt file, the paper simply runs through the printer as if it were a blank page, without making "printer noises."

A friend suggested re-loading fonts into the printer, but I couldn't find anything for fonts in the Printing Preferences dialog. (But I could be looking in the wrong place.)

Help!  Am I doomed to taking screenshots and printing those?

--Elisa

Student
ksant
Message 2 of 8 (12,053 Views)

Re: OfficeJet 6110 does not print text

I am using an HP psc 1315 all-in one and am having the exact same problem. It is driving me crazy any help would be greatly appreciated.
Honor Student
Elisa98
Message 3 of 8 (12,033 Views)

Update: I emailed HP, and received a list of trouble-shooting suggestions (2/24), none of which actually worked. (Installing a driver and faux printer allowed for poor-quality text printouts, better than nothing--though the screenshots are still better.  I'm waiting to hear back from HP (emailed them with the results of my tests 2/25).  On the bright side, if this is a problem that turns out to affect multiple users/printers, there's a chance they'll do something about it.

Following is an abridged version of the email I received:

---------------------------------------- 

This issue may cause due to the various reasons. However, to resolve the issue I have included the troubleshooting steps, which are ranked by simplicity and probability of success. Please let me walk you through.

This mail consists of multiple troubleshooting steps. Perform the steps one after the other and check the functionality until the issue gets resolved.

I have given all the steps in an easy to follow and apply method, however if you have any trouble at any time during the steps please revert back and I will help you walk through with pleasure.

As I am not sure about the exact steps that you have performed before to solve the problem, I request you to ensure that you have performed the following solutions.

In order to Isolate the issue please follow the steps provided below:

I request you to print self-test page from your All-in-one.

Press Menu on the All-in-One then Press 3 then Press 5

If you are unable to print self-test page, I request you to perform the below steps.

Enable print directly to printer in printer properties window using below steps.

I request you to follow below steps to print directly form printer.

1. Click Start, Control Panel.
2. Double-click Printer and Faxes icon.
3. Right-click the HP Officejet 6110 All-in-One series icon.
4. Click Properties.
5. Click the Advance tab.
6. Click Print directly to the printer.
7. Click Enable advanced printing Features
8. Click OK.

Now, check the functionality of the All-in-One. If the issue persists I request you to perform the below setps.

=== Power cycle ===

1.   Verify that the unit is switched on.  Unplug the all-in-one from power and disconnect the connection port.
2.   Wait 30 seconds.
3.   Plug in the power only.
4.   Repeat steps 2-4 two more times.
5.   On the third time after plugging the unit into power, reconnect the connection port from the all-in-one to your computer.
6.   Restart your computer and check the functionality.

===Semi full reset===

Note:
A semi-full reset will do the following:
The user settings to the factory defaults, Language and country settings on some models, Fax logs, Fax headers, Fax speed dial information.

Reset the All-in-One to the factory default settings by using these instructions:

1. Unplug the power cable from printer when the printer is powered on and wait for 20 seconds.

2. Then, press and hold # and 6 while plugging in the power cord.

Continue holding until it displays Semi Full Reset message in the front panel of the All-in-One.

Now, check the functionality of the All-in-One. If the issue persists, I request you to install teh Altenate printer drivers and check the functionality of the All-in-One.

Install an alternate printer driver:
====================================

1. Go to Start, Settings, and click Printers.

2. Double-click the Add Printer icon. Click Next.

3. If a message asks Local or Network, choose Local, then click Next.

4. In the Manufacturers list, choose HP.

5. In the Printer list, choose the HP Deskjet 550C printer, then click Next.

6. Choose LPT1 as the port, then click Next.

7. The printer name should be listed as HP Deskjet 550C Printer.

8. Click No on Do you want your Windows based programs to use this printer as your default printer? Then click Next.

9. Click No when it asks, Would you like to print a test page (recommended). Then click Finish.

Configure the alternate printer driver: 
=======================================

1. In the Printers Window, right-click the icon for HP Deskjet 550C printer.

2. Click Properties. Click the Details or Ports tab .

3. Click the down-arrow where it reads, Print to the Following Port, and select DOT4_00x port that the all-in-one software created. The all-in-ones model number should appear as part of the port destination.

4. Leave the HP Deskjet 550C printer identified as using the following driver, and click Apply.

5. Close the Printer Properties window.

Print using the alternate printer driver:
=========================================

1. Go to Start, Programs, Accessories, and click WordPad.

2. Type: This is a test. Click File, Print.

3. Click the down-arrow by Printer Name and choose the HP Deskjet 550C printer.

4. Click OK. The printer should print: This is a test.

Now, check the functionality of the All-in-One.  Please do get back to me with observations and results because it is important that I resolve your issue in a timely manner.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 8 (12,020 Views)

Based on your description I would suspect the issue to be either a driver problem or an empty black cartrdige.  Printing a diagnostic self test page as suggested by the HP agent would help resolve which.  Did the test page print properly with both black and color?

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Student
Fuji
Message 5 of 8 (11,616 Views)

I was having the same problem on my 4110 officejet. I was using Nukote (Walmart) brand black cartridge. I replaced it with a HP cartridge and the text started printing again. BTW, the Walmart cartridge was a recycled HP cartridge. I tried to save $4 and wasted many hours trying to fix this problem. Hope this helps.
Student
ncrehoboth
Message 6 of 8 (9,244 Views)

I have un-installed and re-installed the printer and the all-in-one software.  I have downloaded a new web release driver from HP downloads.  I have run HP's online check and installed the one fix I was missing.  According to HP's online check I have the current driver installed.

Here is the interesting thing - if I use HP Service Tools the test page will print - a picture of the three valve keys on a trumpet.  However, if I go to Control Panel / Printers & Faxes / Properties / General / print test page all I get is a blank page ejected. 

Whenever I print from a program produce (Publisher, Quickbooks) all I get is a blank page ejected. 

I'm not postive, but I believe the problem started after I upgraded Windows Media Player from 9 to 11. 

I have Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3. 

Honor Student
Elisa98
Message 7 of 8 (9,227 Views)

Solution in my particular case:

Even though the black ink cartridge was not empty (based on its weight) and was a real HP cartridge, replacing it fixed the problem.

Student
ccny1952
Message 8 of 8 (2,332 Views)

My printer will not print text from Microsoft documents. It will print all else with Adobe Acrobat. I am using a Sony laptop with Windows 7 professional.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation