OfficeJet J5780 False Paper Jam (4473 Views)
Student
GaryMark
Message 1 of 6 (4,473 Views)

OfficeJet J5780 False Paper Jam

After using my OfficeJet J5780 for nearly a year I started getting a false paper jam error after printing each page.  I've cleaned the rollers, unplugged and replugged in the printer, cold booted it holding down the # and 3 keys, uninstalled and re-installed the software and upgraded the firmware.  Any other suggestions?

Student
teenab160
Message 2 of 6 (4,427 Views)

Re: OfficeJet J5780 False Paper Jam

I am having the same problem.  I did find a small piece of paper in the printer but still when I turn it on it says there is a paper jam.  I too have do all the trouble shooting with no luck.  If you find an answer please let me know.
Student
savonarola
Message 3 of 6 (4,392 Views)

I am having the same problem with my Officejet 6310xi.  I get "carriage jam" every time I turn on the machine and almost every time after printing a page.  I also tried the HP Solutions suggestions, which were of no use.  It's highly annoying to have the machine keep telling me to remove the paper jam, when I've just turned on the machine and not even attempted to print anything yet.

Top Student
dougn
Message 4 of 6 (3,281 Views)

If you get the "carriage jam" error, I've found most common cause is a glob of black ink in the far right carriage bay.  With the printer on, lift the cartridge access lid and pull the power cord out so the cartridge sled stops before getting all the way to the right.  Then take a flashlight and cotton swab to remove any dripped towers or cones of black ink from the bay.  You may have to gently press on the retractable cartridge holder to move it back to view underneath it.  Once you've cleared any dripped ink that may have caused blocking, and turn the printer back on, you may have to press "OK" once more if the Carriage Jam error message appears on the display.  I hope that works for you to get you printing again.

Honor Student
Hardy111
Message 5 of 6 (2,809 Views)

Thank You Very Much!!!

That worked well and fixed the problem in a few minutes!
hardy

Honor Student
Hardy111
Message 6 of 6 (2,807 Views)

I like to add that i used regular rubbing alcohol on the Q-Tip (cotton swap) to desolve the ink and then cleaned it with afew folded up paper towels and the the alcohoil q-tip again until it was totally clean and no more access ink that causes a cartrdge jam!
Hardy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation