Question

Honor Student
yarrowpower
Message 1 of 8 (4,325 Views)

OfficeJet Pro L7680 Alignment Failure & Not Printing Black

[ Edited ]

I have the problem where my alignment shows failure and every color will print except the black.  Black is the one I use the most.

Yet on the diagnostic page stated that the printer heads are good.  The yellow is printing fine, and that is with the black head. 

New black ink cartridge has been installed.

Have done line calibration.  Have done everything in the tool box.

Cleaned the printerhead many times. 

At a lost here.

The computer connected to the printer is running Microsoft program XP - 32 bit program.

Student
Message 2 of 8 (4,158 Views)

Re: OfficeJet Pro L7680 Alignment Failure & Not Printing Black

Mine is doing exactly the same.  Tried all the same things.  040

Student
captech
Message 3 of 8 (4,013 Views)

[ Edited ]

I'm having the same no black ink printing problem. I've tried different new cartridges and done all the test but my L7680 officejet will not print black...Help

I'm on a Vista Home Premium 32 bit system with the latest drivers and software installed.

Honor Student
gillhunkin
Message 4 of 8 (3,803 Views)

Ditto with mine - it has cost me as much as buying a new printer in replacement inks and a new B/Y printhead

Grad Student
Btek
Message 5 of 8 (3,800 Views)

I would try a few resets like pulling the power cord out of the printer without turning the printer off first.

Next reset you would hold # and 3 button down while unplugging the power cord from the back, wait 30 sec. hold # and 3 again while plugging the printer power cord back into the back of the printer and don't let go untill the warm up screen appears.

Next reset is the same as the first except that you need to hold the # and 6 button instead of 3.

If these issues don't fix it, and after replacing the printhead and ink cartridge and cleaning the contacts, you need to replace the printer. The L7680 is obsolete and is no longer sold. Call HP total care and get an upgrade.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

If I have resolved your issue, feel free to provide Kudos and make sure you mark this thread as solution provided.
Student
b12028
Message 6 of 8 (3,373 Views)

Thank you!! the printer kept telling me: Alignment failed, refer to documentation.  As I have moved at least 3 times since I bought the printer... I have no idea where the docs might be.  The #6 reset you suggested has at least moved me further ahead if not completely fixed the alignment issue.  Now the alignment was successful :-)

Student
newguy2455
Message 7 of 8 (961 Views)

I have an HP Officejet Pro L7680 All in One. Has not been used for 4-5 months.  All colors but black print OK.  Black does not print. Have tried 2 new Black cartridges to no avail. Cleaned the black contacts from the front using a Q tip and alcohol. No improvement. Any suggestions please?

Student
MagnoliaSeattle
Message 8 of 8 (324 Views)

Thank you! I tried all three resets and only #6 worked. What a mystery. I wish you had explained exactly what this does (return to factory settings?) and what this did inside the machine. All other colors were fine to begin with, all new ink cartridges, and now black is streaky but visible. I'm wondering whether to run #6 reset again? This printer was a little streaky when it was new and under warrantee, but i never imagined there were builtin fixes until i googled now years later. I wish HP had made this more clear in the setup instructions. Not the greatest printer, but I don't want to throw it away yet.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation