Question

Honor Student
sires6
Message 1 of 4 (3,292 Views)

Officejet 6500 "out of paper" error

Brand new, out of the box won't print.  Had to have HP help me change my router settings to older B/G so it would print.  Ok, now I get intermittent connection and "Out of Paper" messages in the middle of a print.  It is wired to a router (netgear wnr1000) and brand new! 

Please help me get this thing working or out the balcony it goes!!!

Intern
irRufus
Message 2 of 4 (3,281 Views)

Re: Officejet 6500 "out of paper" error

Perhaps this may help: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00786157&cc=ca&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3795314

The OfficeJet 6500 (model E709n or q) only supports 802.11 b/g wireless connections, so yes HP is right to set your router to the same format; however, why have it "wire" as well?

As to 'intermittent' problems, it may be range and/or signal strength and/or this is... from your printer's manual: "Though ad hoc networks may be secured with a WEP passphrase, they cannot be secured with a WAP key.  Also, the performance of the network might not be as good as an infrastructure network."  Page 13 of the "Wireless Getting Started Guide" provided with your printer or available here http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01669416.pdf

I'll catch it if you decide to throw it "off" your balcony.

Honor Student
sires6
Message 3 of 4 (3,277 Views)

Ok, I have the printer ethernet wired to the router.  I did that because I was getting signal issues and installation issues and just wanted it simpler.  I shouldn't be getting any more signal issues.  Whether or not it should be wireless or not is not the point.  It is wired and it's not working.  It doesn't need to have the WEP as it's on the router physically!

Help me figure out why it won't print.  It's fine set up the way it is, as we need it where it is and it just worked out better being wired.  The HP needed it B/G to communicate, not for any wireless issues.  It wouldn't recognize the printer until it was B/G... even though we were trying it wired!  I just want it to print!

Intern
irRufus
Message 4 of 4 (3,267 Views)

I'm just some guy trying to help out - I don't work for HP, I came here trying to get help for my printer :smileyhappy:

Perhaps we can check and see what the printer's current settings are by printing "Network Configuration Page" as per instrunctions on page 101 of your User Guide, and reply here with the details listed.  Section 1 will list the 'active connection type', the other sections will provide some other details.

I would suggest that being wireless is the point as the HP only needs B/G to communicate wirelessly and it therefore is probably *only* communicating wirelessly.  This is insinuated by the section entitled "Change the connection method" on page 139 of your User Guide which states that the USB or Ethernet cable be disconnected after enabling the wireless connectivity and the "active connection type" mentioned previously.  Therefore, I'd suggest turning off wireless by following page 137 which has a section entitled "How to turn off wireless communication".

You could also uninstall the driver and then reinstall it using only the ethernet cable and using the instructions on page 141 of your User Guide and then start at page 131 to install using an ethernet cable...

Hope that this is of use to you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation