Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thiis message came on while printing. Removed, checked and put back in, and it was no help. Replaced cartridge and the message remained. Can't even print in B&W with color cartridge removed. Cannot scan or fax while this error message is displayed and I cannot clear it.

Have been using Office Depot remanufactured cartridges for over a year without any problems before.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Update - I sent an e-mail to HP Support. They responded and gave me the sequence to use to print a 10 Tap report. Had to go to FedEx Kinko's to have it scanned and put on a memory stick ($0.99). Did that and sent off to HP as an attachment. Two hours later they responded advising that the cartridge was bad. Odd to have that happen with 2 Office Depot cartridges, but at any rate I took the cartridge back to Office Depot and they exchangec (plus $8.00) for genuine HP. Plugged it in and problem solved. Kudos to Office Depot and HP Support.

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
HP Recommended
Update - I sent an e-mail to HP Support. They responded and gave me the sequence to use to print a 10 Tap report. Had to go to FedEx Kinko's to have it scanned and put on a memory stick ($0.99). Did that and sent off to HP as an attachment. Two hours later they responded advising that the cartridge was bad. Odd to have that happen with 2 Office Depot cartridges, but at any rate I took the cartridge back to Office Depot and they exchangec (plus $8.00) for genuine HP. Plugged it in and problem solved. Kudos to Office Depot and HP Support.
HP Recommended
I am waiting for Tech Support's reply, but I have now put in two brand new HP brand cartidges and the error still exists.  Anyone else find another issue and resolution other than replacing the cartridge?
HP Recommended
In case you haven't figured everything out. There is a design flaw. The spring(wire) at the bottom of the cartridge bay breaks or otherwise cuts the plastic that houses the micro thin wires. There is no fix. Hundreds of people in different forums have this problem. There should be a recall.
HP Recommended

I have put in 3 new color cartridges (HP 97) and still have that error.  There is no damage to the back from the spring.

There also is no way I can get rid of that error.  Bought cartridges from Sam's.  I will go to Office Depot and buy HP 95 tri-color. 

Question: how to get rid of error and if another cartridge does not work, what do I do next.  I am out of warranty.

HP Recommended

Is there a replacement part # for this ribbon?  This is the exact problem we have but cannot find info on getting a new ribbon to fix it.  We have had limited success with a bit of scotch tape and creative use of a circuit writer pen from radio shack, but it doensn't figure to last through the cartridge change out.

HP Recommended

Sometimes a hard reset will do the trick, which means setting all factory info back to 000.  Cartridges that are remanufactured  or refilled are still coded with an expiration date - if the current date is past that coded date on the cartridge they will generate that error.  Clearing the memory of the current date eliminates the conflict.  Sometimes too the contact pads are greasy or dirty and do not make good contact which also causes this, but I am thinking you may have that ribbon damage as well, since it is only a tiny pinhole tear that isn't easy to see. 

HP Recommended

@voxleo wrote:

Sometimes a hard reset will do the trick, which means setting all factory info back to 000.  Cartridges that are remanufactured  or refilled are still coded with an expiration date - if the current date is past that coded date on the cartridge they will generate that error. 

There is no expiration date coded into the cartridges used in the Officejet 7410 (or for that matter, any HP ink cartridges with the printhead included).  The only expiration on the cartridges is the "end of warranty" date printed on the cartrdige body.  This only records the warranty date and has no impact on the use of the cartrdige.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I had follow all the tips you have and the message is there,,clean the cartridges and machine , try to print a report , how I get rid of that message, the cartridge are original HP and they have ink ,this message is bloking me to work , I need to get rid of it.

please help

Sandra

[text removed for privacy] officejet 7400 All-in-one

The message is check the color cardtridge

HP Recommended

I am waiting for a feed back anybody knows what to do?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.