Question

Honor Student
CraigSmith
Message 1 of 10 (1,063 Views)

Officejet 8500a needs restarting every time to print

This is a 905n model. It has been configure both wired and wireless and has the same issues. most of the time the printer needs to be restarted to print and it only will print one document  than needs to be restarted again. it does from either machine we use Vista 32bit or the Windows7 64bit.

Grad Student
ashu_b
Message 2 of 10 (1,038 Views)

Re: Officejet 8500a needs restarting every time to print

There may be a newer Firmware available for your product in the link below:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/pfinder?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4063&softwareitem=mp-89897-4&sw_lan...

Once you select your printer, Select: Support and Drivers> OS>Firmware and follow the instructions to upgrade.

If you are using Wifi connection, try selecting IPv4 connectivity. To do that, you can go to the printer ip address from your PC browser (http://xxx.xxx.x.xxx) Select the Network tab> Network Protocols> Enable IPv4 Only. Some times, the network environment is contributing to make it unstable. Above setting change may help resolve this issue.

I work for HP.
Honor Student
CraigSmith
Message 3 of 10 (1,031 Views)

The firmware and drivers are all up to date. I have disabled econo mode still if the the printer sits for more than 20 min it will not print in spite of the now printing screen appearing (it does not go away I have waited 30 min before just rebooting) nothing prints.

Student
ldilgard
Message 4 of 10 (985 Views)

I have the same issue.  I have to reboot the printer to print with every new document.   I've reloaded all firmware and drivers, that didn't help. 

Student
poolsafety
Message 5 of 10 (916 Views)

Same problem, was on phone for hours with HP customer support in Philippines for over 3 hours, can't resolve this problem, seems like its a common problem.

Student
figgynewton
Message 6 of 10 (830 Views)

I'm having the exact same problem with my OfficeJet 6500A Plus (wireless).  Printer needs to be rebooted after a period of idle to allow for printing.

Wireless remains connected, printer is pingable, but will not print until rebooted.  Very odd...

Any resolutions?

Student
Ole56
Message 7 of 10 (720 Views)

I have the same issue. Is there no fix for this? Time for me to get a different brand?

Honor Student
sydmax
Message 8 of 10 (651 Views)

Same issue. It's been fine for years, and just started doing this a couple of weeks ago. Can't believe there isn't a fix.
Tutor
Kevin4
Message 9 of 10 (139 Views)

Obviously this is an ongoing problem with HP printers, I have the same issue with Officejet J5780.  Has a solution been found to this problem of needing to be restarted each time to print?  HP, what's the story?

Honor Student
sydmax
Message 10 of 10 (133 Views)

I found this somewhere, on another forum.

Make sure that the ink cartridges that you're using are HP, and pretty new. Someone mentioned that they have a chip in them that can become outdated, and that causes the issue with the rebooting. Seems to work for me.

Somewhere I also saw something about being able to cut out an outdated chip when the cartridge still has ink in it, and replacing that with a current chip, so as not to waste the ink.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation