Officejet 8600 Pro Premium. Tray autoselect (2507 Views)
Student
LJRG
Message 1 of 5 (2,507 Views)

Officejet 8600 Pro Premium. Tray autoselect

My Question:

Officejet 8600 Pro Premium. I have Tray 1 with Letter Size paper.  Tray 2 Legal size. How can i get printer to autoselect tray based on paper size?

What I found:

"There is no auto selection/detection whether to select paper from tray 1 or tray 2 for OJ Pro 8600" - see link below

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Install-Setup/Hello-Officejet-8600-Pro-Premium-Tray-...

Somebody is kidding me - Right?

I'm moving from a LaserJet 4 I bought 15 years ago that knew what tray to pull Letter and what tray to pull legal.  So are we moving backwards?  If I right click on the printer / Properties / Device Settings - It allows me to pick Letter for Tray 1 and Legal for Tray 2 (by the way I have tried switching trays) why can't the software for the Officejet 8600 Pro Premium detect the fact I'm sending Legal and print from tray 2.  

Please give me the answer?

Now that we established someone is kidding me, could you give me the way to print legal automatically as opposed to everytime I create a legal document that I have to pick tray #2.  I'm sorry if I sound upset but I'm a programmer and preach that computers should be a tool to get the work done, not something that causes the user more work.

Thanks in advance for your help.

LJRG

Top Student
kentcan
Message 2 of 5 (2,406 Views)

Re: Officejet 8600 Pro Premium. Tray autoselect

Did you ever find out anything more on this?  I just bought the 8600 Premium yesterday, and am absolutely flabbergasted to find that this printer, which is TOUTED for its full capability of handling legal paper can't pick different sizes of paper from Tray 1 and Tray 2 in the same print job!!!  Like you said, printers have been able to do this for years!  Why MAKE the 8600 Premium with two trays if it CAN'T pull paper from both trays, based on size settings, during the same job?!!

Student
mglass0805
Message 3 of 5 (2,220 Views)

I thought it was ridiculous not to have an autoselect, particularly as the "auto select" feature appears in tray selection. Weeks ago, I called and spent 20 minutes with an idiot tech who knew less than I. I decided, on a lark, to try again. The tech I got this time, Avi, set me up in less than 5 minutes. It works perfectly now.

In Windows, hit the start button, then click on “printers”. Right click on the Officejet 8600. Click on “Properties”. Then click on “Device Settings”. Under “Form to Tray Assignment”, click on Tray 2 and a drop down menu will give you the choice of letter, legal, envelope. Click on the one you want, click “Apply”, and you’re good to go.

I'm loving this printer more and more each day!

Michael

Top Student
kentcan
Message 4 of 5 (2,218 Views)

Michael, I am very familiar with how to set up my trays.  However, that was never the problem.  The problem is, once your trays are set up, the printer still won't autoselect pages from the different trays based on their size in the SAME JOB.  From what I remember, it will only pull from one tray per job.  So if you've got one .pdf file with a mix of page sizes, you're SOL with this printer.

Meanwhile...

...things are going much more smoothly with my Epson WP4540--a true dual-tray all-in-one printer.

Student
Nhon
Message 5 of 5 (1,982 Views)

How do I make it so that my HP auto detect papersize?

My old HP did this with no problems. This new one, it says incorrect papersize.

I dont want it to detect papersize - I just want it to print what I put in it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation