Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just had the same problem as everyone else. My printer would not stop flashing the error message and wouldn't let me exit out of it for nothing. I tried shutting the printer off, turning it back on, and still the flashing light and error message was there. BUT I figured out how to fix it and my printer is back to working order.

Simply open up the cartridge door, take out the problem cartridge (for me it was the black one), close the door, a message will appear saying that the corresponding cartridge you took out is not available for use and the error message is gone one you press either the X button or the back button. Now I have to go buy a new cartridge, but hey at least it isn't a new printer -.-

This printer has given me so many problems...

HP Recommended

Hi Comanche624

I would suggest that you contact HP phone support as it sounds like you need a replacement cartridge. You can first check the warranty ends date HERE

Hope this helps

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

Using a damp Q-tip to clean the head contacts worked when nothing else did.  I guess perhaps the contacts got gummed up and the printer couldn't read the presence of the cartridge, hence the error message.  all is well now.  

I suggest this solution.  Also will save you from wasting a perfectly good tri-color cartridge.

DR

HP Recommended

Same here:  Officejet J4680 All-in-One, error message "Print cartridge problem : [Tri-Color]. Refer to device documentation to troubleshoot."  

I had replaced the color cartridge with a brand new one, printed ok, but then that message.

Tried removing and replacing the cartridge, and that worked for one more print. 

Same again, had to remove and replace for another print.

Then that trick stopped working.

Looked for documentation online at HP, but it won't give anything because I'm running under Linux nowadays.

Tried a general on-line search and found a long, deatiled trouble-shooting page from a link given earlier in this column, but the whole routine didn't solve the problem.  I'm loath to pay more for servicing the machne, or buying more cartridges.

So I read on, here in good company with you folks who have the same problem, though some of you have the same trouble with the other cartridge. 

I liked another suggestion from an earlier post, to keep swapping two good cartidges:  just tried it with another new one without removing its tape, and swapping back after the error message, but that didn't work. 

So, let's try it right now, with tape removed:  yep, that's working.  It wants to print another alignment test and have me scan it...  (wonder if I could abort that and save the ink and paper, but won't try it just now; this would be a very slow way to print things, if it has to be repeated each time)...    

I really do like this machine, though, it's gone a long time without trouble, and I'm sorry to have this glitch show up. 

...ok, alignment done, will try printing something for real... (I'm not even trying to print in color, but the color cartridge problem blocks everything except for trying to troubleshoot the error message)...  Ok, first real print job went fine.  Try a second...  Yep, that went ok, too:  happy camper here, except I'm out the first brand-new cartridge.  Wonder if it had just got too old?   Maybe I'll try swapping it back in.   Certainly will, if this second brand-new one begets that error message.

Thank you, everyone:  it's a frustrating problem all right, and shouldn't happen, and I might get stuck yet again with it, but at least there are helpful clues here.   (If worse comes to worst, even negative solutions might be helpful in persuading me about brands!)        Must be a glitch in the cartridge, the printer, or the software in the printer, and I still don't know which...

HP Recommended

I have only had to replace the tri-color cartridge a few times compared to how often I replace the black cartridge since I generally will print using just the black cartridge.  I did try a 2nd new cartridge and finally did get rid of that error message in the past (and since the other cartridge was brand new and no where near an expiration date) I recovered it with the original tape and saved it ~ just in case.  

The 2nd new cartridge worked for awhile and then I suddenly got the same error message again without having changed either cartridge!  I then tried putting the first ink cartridge back in (when the error first appeared) and this time ~ oddly enough ~ No Error Message!  

Only problem was that for some odd reason it only worked for about a week before it started up again.  I again replaced that cartridge with the 2nd new one and so far so good (keeping fingers crossed at this point).  Can't afford to go out and get a new printer nor can I afford to keep buying new cartridges so interchange them whenever the error message pops up.  Guess that if the issue continues I am going to have to go back to my reliable Samsung Laser printer which I still have but that has to be connected to the pc which is why I got this one to begin with (well that and the fact that I can fax and copy with it).

Like you, I found that you can't avoid the alignment option when switching the cartridges and it really is a waste of ink but I have yet to find a way around that.

Keeping my fingers crossed!!!!

HP Recommended

I also cleaned the contacts with a wet cotton swab and this worked for me.

HP Recommended

This is my second post, I think.   To be fair, must admit the problem vanished.  I had tried cleaning the contacts, removing and replacing the same cartridge, and ended up swapping with a second new one.  Can't remember if I tried removing it and letting another error message tell me it was missing.    Anyway, problem was in May, and it's late July now; I print only a few documents each day; problem hasn't recurred in a long time, and I'll keep saving the partly-used cartridge to try it again another day.  The problem was vexing, yes; and it's ponderous, trying to find the solution; but on the whole, I'm happy with the machine.  So, I'll drop the topic.  Thank you everyone for all the hints, positive and negative.

HP Recommended

Somebody please help before I go out of my mind.  I have an hp officejet j4680 for about 5 years.  I have the rear door taped tight, the front tray taped to the printer, and it has worked fine until today.  It needed a new black ink cartridge.  Purchased a hp 901 cartridge.  Put it in the printer, states Aligning the print cartridge. wait.  Nothing happens.  The green button flashes.  You cannot press any buttons.  You unplug it, and it still says error.  Tried another cartridge, same thing.  Have downloaded new drivers.  I took all of the programs out and reinstalled the printer.  same crap.  I do not know what else to do .  I don't have money for a new one.  Tried the trick that the previous person suggested, with no results.  Help please, before I throw it out the door.   

HP Recommended

Hey guys!

Im not one to become part of a feed, but I found a solution that worked for me. 

I haven't used this printer in 2 years, turned it on with the old cartridges and that error message appeared. 

I read this feed, and decided to turn off the printer, remove the old cartridges, replace them with the new ones and turn on the printer. This worked. The error message disappeared and all works like a new. 

Hope this helps!!!

HP Recommended

I combined cleaning the contacts with a Q-tip and removing the problematic cartridge {BLACK} in my case and closing the cartridge door to fool the printer.  After replacing the "cleaned" cartidge the printer seems to be working again.

Thanks DrkRaven!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.