Question

Student
seymourglass
Message 1 of 24 (22,956 Views)

Officejet J4680 false paper jam

I have an Officejet J4680.  The device is only a couple of weeks old and had been working correctly.  Now I’m getting a paper jam error.  I’m pretty sure it is a false paper jam.  I inspected the front and back to make sure there is no paper jam.  I’ve seen others with the J6480 who were having the same issue.  I tried the reset that is suggested but the problem still persists.  When it does print the print jobs are bad.  During the print jobs it sounds like the paper feeding is not consistent. The first half of the page goes OK and then the second half the feed speed changes(slows down) and this is where the print is messed up.  Any suggestions?

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 2 of 24 (22,947 Views)

Re: Officejet J4680 false paper jam

Seems like a hardware issue. If you have followed all the troubleshooting in THIS document, then you should call HP Tech Support so that they can replace the printer. You can tell them all the steps you've tried to do, so that they won't ask you to do it AGAIN. In case they do, then you can refuse to do it as it's already been done.

Also, after doing the Partial Reset as shown in the above document, you could try a Semi-Full Reset by following these steps.

Disconnect the power cord from the product.
Press and hold # and 6 on the numeric keypad.
While still holding down # and 6 , reconnect the power cord to the back of the product.
When the black box on the control panel display disappears, release both buttons.
Turn on the printer by pressing the Power button and follow the instructions on the screen until you see the date and time.
Try the print job again to see if the issue is resolved.

PS: even though the document listed above is for the 'Carriage Jam' error, the troubleshooting for both paper and carriage jam is the same.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Student
Alisongs
Message 3 of 24 (22,156 Views)

I had exactly the same problem.. followed all the advice and then contacted HP support. They were wonderful and I got a replacement very quickly. After about 100 copies on the new one I have EXACTLY the same problem! Is there an inherant problem with this model? How many times must I have a replacement before I get one that actually works?

Has anyone else been this unlucky?

Student
tomzomp
Message 4 of 24 (21,614 Views)

Alisongs wrote:

I had exactly the same problem.. followed all the advice and then contacted HP support. They were wonderful and I got a replacement very quickly. After about 100 copies on the new one I have EXACTLY the same problem! Is there an inherant problem with this model? How many times must I have a replacement before I get one that actually works?

Has anyone else been this unlucky?

Yes, I have the same problem. It seems to be a general engineering problem with the printing speed. Does anyone know if there is a way to reduce the printing/copying speed by default? Perhaps new firmware?

The problem appeared, after I used the copy feature for the 1st time.

Before that I just used the J4680 as a scanner and printer running on Ubuntu Linux, which worked really fine. It also connected fine to my wireless router.

Please let me know if a replacement is the only solution.

Thanks.

Thomas Martin

Top Student
olsnake
Message 5 of 24 (20,164 Views)

Encounter same problem with J4680 after a year of use, right after warranty.  After couple days of debate to myself for buy a new one or get my screw drivers out, I went try the latter.

Problem found:  The timing wheel is falling off.  The timing wheel is a piece of Mylar film that has timing mark on the outer edge.  The edge of the wheel is positioned in a optical pickup.  It is used for provide feedback of paper feeding speed/location to the controller.  The design of J4680 merely uses a thin coat of adhesive to attach the timing wheel on one of the Nylon gear face.  It did not hold.  Put back the wheel and adding a small o-ring on the shaft for additional security.  Now the paper jam is gone and the printer works like before.

The timing wheel is inside of a black plastic cover at far left of printer.  Since I had hard time to remove printer and end up repair it in place, it may not be the job for everybody.  It just a bad design in my opinion and should qualify for a recall.  The adhesive can fail fair quickly due to the environmental condition (temperature, humility and on…).   You don’t have to use it to make it fail.  That maybe why some of them fail in couple of weeks and others took longer (god knows how the printer was stored and transported).

Student
RBourquin31
Message 6 of 24 (19,775 Views)

Would you mind going into a little bit more detail about fixing the timing wheel?

Top Student
CheapAndChinese
Message 7 of 24 (19,626 Views)

Based on encouragement from above, I fixed it easily.   It definitely WAS the encoder wheel (a thin clear plastic disk printed

with timing marks) on the left side of the paper-feed roller, as you look at it from the front.  This wheel provides motion feedback to the paper feed control software.   If the disk is detached/loose,  the device thinks the paper feed roller is stuck or impeded, and thus gives the annoying error.

What I did:

1)  Remove the scanner assembly (it comes off with a few screws, and is a totally separate unit;   The printer works with it completely disconnected (after it complains that the scanner is malfunctioning).   Beware that you don't break off the little control panel.  Or you can be safe and remove the one screw holding it on, by prying off the 'HP OfficeJet...One" plastic cover.

2)  Once you have removed the scanner assembly:

at the left side you will see three white plastic gears meshed together;   the farthest one is covered in a circular black

plastic cover.   With some care you CAN remove this cover without any additional screwdriver work.

3) in my case (and most others I bet) the thin disk was detached from the gear to which it should be attached.  I just shoved it back on, so it was tightly mated to its white gear.  You should also ensure that the clear disk goes through the optical sensor at the bottom (mine was).

4) I did not bother to replace that cover, if you can do it,  good for you.

5) Test, and reassemble.

This is about the WORST product engineering imaginable.   But I have a working printer again!

Student
howdebody
Message 8 of 24 (19,288 Views)

CheapAndChinese and Olsnake,

I've got a paper jam problem with my HP J4680 as well. I've tried everything online, did a reset with #3 and #6 depressed simultaneously while I plug it in, and even took the scanner apart to try to fix the gear as per CheapandChinese. I couldn't get the cover off of the third wheel, however (? hints . . . does it pop off if I leverage it somewhere, do I just yank it off with pliers, etc?). I WAS able to see the third gear and when I rotated one of the other visible/accessible gears, all three rotated (including the one under the cover), so I assumed it had not fallen off track and that it was working (am I right?). Regardless, I'm still getting this stupid paper jam issue. Any other suggestions.

Honor Student
uhf120
Message 9 of 24 (19,246 Views)

By far above and beyond the best of any help that I have ever gotten from HP was the above (or below) answer to the idiotic timing wheel issue.

My printer quit feeding paper 1 year and 3 months after I bought it (so, three months out of warranty! Go figure.). Tried to find parts online to no avail as it was actually (after tearing apart the printer) the feeding roller gears- two teeth were stripped. Two teeth. Two lousy stinking teeth kept the printer from working. And no parts to be had. I'm not one to throw things away willy nilly, so got online with Craigslist and found another J6480 printer for $35. Tore that one apart and got not only the entire gear assembly for the feed rollers, but also a couple of other gears I found stripped in the process (again, one or two teeth). Put it back together only to get the "Paper jam assembly" error. But after reading about the mylar timing "gear", I dug back into it and found I had not aligned it correctly. Did so and voila! I have a working printer/fax/scanner again! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Honor Student
toddie
Message 10 of 24 (18,754 Views)

My machine had the same thing happen no matter what I did or tried I still got the paper jame error. I looked every where online and nothing worked.  I tried all the steps HP offered nothing...

So here's what worked for me..

Flip the machine over and look for the little single screw holding on plate. 

1. Remove the screw and take off the face plate.

2. Remove the cover.

3. Under the plate plate is an arm. It slides right out.

4. Look for the track because one end of the arm slides up and down a track.  What I noticed was the track was full of ink.

5. With Qtips and Kleenex clean out the track.  It will slide back and forth or up and down depending one your perspective. I didn't use and alcohol or and cleaners except a little soap and water.  Make sure your Qtips aren't dripping wet.

6. Once it's cleaned and the arm moves freely again, My machine had a lot of ink dripped on the track, replace the arm and the back plate.

7. turn the machine back on. Mine cycled through the ink realignment and printed out a pieace of paper to realign the scanner.

No more paper jam!!! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation