Officejet J4680 won't stop printing (5458 Views)
Top Student
icewars
Message 1 of 10 (5,458 Views)
Accepted Solution

Officejet J4680 won't stop printing

Hi,

Before I contact HP support, thougth I would see if anyone here can help.

I have just bought a J4680 all in one.  Whenever I send anything to print (from any application), it keeps printing multiple copies until I delete the print job from my PC.  Can any one shed any light on this or suggest a solution?

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit (all updates installed), and the all in one is connected via wi-fi.  Have tried switching off firewall (Zonealarm) but same thing happens.  Have un-installed and re-installed the printer and software but still the same.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Top Student
icewars
Message 2 of 10 (5,433 Views)

Re: Officejet J4680 won't stop printing

Just an update after contacting HP tech support, seems to have sorted out the issue.

In case anyone else has a similar problem here is what they suggested. (Four steps, if the first doesn't work, move on to the next)

Step 1: Set number of copies
Pretty self explanatory, make number of copies is set to one. Had obviously already checked this so moved on to next step.

Step 2: Restart the Print Spooler device
1. Open Administrative Tools. - Click system maintenance in control panel, then click administrative tools..
2. Double-click Services.
3. On the User Account Control window, click Continue.
4. Click Print Spooler.
5. Click Stop to stop the Print Spooler.
6. Click Start to restart the Print Spooler.
7. Click OK.
8. Restart the computer

Didn't work for me, but others may have more luck.

Step 3: Print directly to the printer
1. In control panel click Hardware and sounds.
2. Right-click the printers icon.
3. Locate and click on HP Officejet J4680 All-in-One Printer icon
3. Click Properties.
4. Click the Advance tab.
5. Click Print directly to the printer.
6. Click OK

This did stop the first problem of the printer continuing to print, but left the document queued so when I sent anything else to print it got stuck in the queue and was unable to delete the first job in the queue.

Step 4: Install Alternate Drivers

This step did the job, seems strange that I have to use drivers for another printer, surely HP should make sure its drivers work before releasing a product, or if they know these drivers work, why not ship these with the officejet and rename them?

Anyway, just add a new printer from the control panel, choosing the local option and LPT1 as the port, and select the HP 990c from the list as the printer to install. Once installed, right click on the printer within the printers folder and select properties (see previous step). Click the Ports tab, from here change the port to the one set up for the J4680

Honor Student
melanie
Message 3 of 10 (5,255 Views)

[ Edited ]

i can't find the printer hp 990c in the list at all:smileysad:,    re.just add a new printer from the control panel, choosing the local option and LPT1 as the port, and select the HP 990c from the list as the printer to install.

i did the above but that printer is not in the hp list

i also have the same problem and i have wasted loads of ink due to printer constantly printing more than 1 copy sometimes 6 or 7 pages please help so happy to get a new printer but now wishing i hadn't:smileymad:

Message Edited by melanie on 03-24-2009 10:34 AM
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 4 of 10 (5,252 Views)

which Operating System are you using?
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
melanie
Message 5 of 10 (5,221 Views)

32 bit operating system

windows vista home premium:smileyhappy:

Honor Student
Ian_w
Message 6 of 10 (4,234 Views)

I am experiencing exactly the same problems as outlined above - could you tell me exactly what I can do to fix the problem - it is unclear from the thread what action was taken?

Thanks.

Honor Student
melanie
Message 7 of 10 (4,230 Views)

i downloaded the drivers for the hp 990 from the hp site as they were not on my list, do as option 4 if the printer 990 is not showing in the list dowload the drivers off the hp site, my printer worked great after that
Honor Student
melanie
Message 8 of 10 (4,229 Views)

Step 4: Install Alternate Drivers

This step did the job, seems strange that I have to use drivers for another printer, surely HP should make sure its drivers work before releasing a product, or if they know these drivers work, why not ship these with the officejet and rename them?

Anyway, just add a new printer from the control panel, choosing the local option and LPT1 as the port, and select the HP 990c from the list as the printer to install. Once installed, right click on the printer within the printers folder and select properties (see previous step). Click the Ports tab, from here change the port to the one set up for the J4680

this is the option 4 i did but the printer was not in the dropdown list so i dowloaded the drivers for the hp 990c directly off the hp site

Student
kelly19085
Message 9 of 10 (3,145 Views)

thanks for this info. The same thing was happening to me. I did all 4 steps. I changed the port and now when I hit print nothing happens and then my printer stops responding or it takes forever to do anything so I pull up the task manager and close it out.

I have all of hte same operating systems. Can anyone help? now I can print...

Thanks,

Deirdre

Tutor
cedarcoulee
Message 10 of 10 (1,321 Views)

My problem is with an officejet j6480....solution center shows 10 printers!  When I want to print, ten printers start printing.  I have the 990 printer that I can use, but it is very slow!  I have also unchecked the enable bidirectional printing...doesn't work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation